SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

Just now, magnemoe said:

Assumes its an moon not an planet and its an long exposure shot as sun is not up but it looks almost like daytime except all the stars. 

Spoiler

FG-4ShFVQAM0aNv?format=jpg&name=large

This dark huge ball with bright terminator line is the Moon eclipse?!

So romantic.

And the star. It's bright and with rays...

Is this on Earth???

(Let alone the strange fractal lifeforms around.)

Just now, kerbiloid said:
  Hide contents

FG-4ShFVQAM0aNv?format=jpg&name=large

This dark huge ball with bright terminator line is the Moon eclipse?!

So romantic.

LOL, see that you did there :) nice trolling 

Saw an photo of an B-52 bomber silhouetted by the moon on an news site. Title "An b-52 flying past the moon returning from Iraq. 
Comment section: That was quite an detour; Impressive range; Why could then not just an B-52 rater than the huge Saturn 5 :) 

I got up at 4:30AM (actually earlier due to a miscommunication with my understanding of the launch time twice) To see the West Coast Starlink launch.

Skies where 100% clear due to recent rain, and I got a good view of the first stage, 2nd stage, and 1st stage's first re-entry burn. Got some nice phone picks too!

Its honestly amazing that the 11th launch has gone just as well as the previous 10 launches. I really wonder if they are seeing any actual degradation after so many uses. 

2 minutes ago, MKI said:

I got up at 4:30AM (actually earlier due to a miscommunication with my understanding of the launch time twice) To see the West Coast Starlink launch.

Skies where 100% clear due to recent rain, and I got a good view of the first stage, 2nd stage, and 1st stage's first re-entry burn. Got some nice phone picks too!

Its honestly amazing that the 11th launch has gone just as well as the previous 10 launches. I really wonder if they are seeing any actual degradation after so many uses. 

I'm also curious about the soot, I know they don't clean it because usually it has little difference but after some number of launches it must become quite meaningful

https://www.lioness.co/post/at-spacex-we-re-told-we-can-change-the-world-just-don-t-try-to-stop-the-sexual-harassment

If this sounds really familiar, it's because it's quite similar to what was reported from Blue Origin a few months back. Not a coincidence -- the author said that seeing the Blue Origin report is what prompted her to go public on this.

I started at SpaceX as an intern in 2017, joined the team full time in 2019 as a build reliability engineer, and was later promoted to mission integration engineer. I worked at Cape Canaveral, integrating the flagship crewed mission and Demo-2; I personally evaluated technical risk for the vehicle, among several other roles at the company. For a woman, particularly an Asian American woman, to reach a position at this level in the space industry is next to impossible.

A few weeks after my start date, a fellow intern approached me in our intern housing and grabbed my butt while I was washing my dishes. I reported the incident to a superior and another colleague, but the matter was never brought to HR. I had to continue living in the residence with this man.

Over my next two years as a SpaceX intern, countless men made sexual advances toward me. In 2018, during a team bonding event, a male colleague ran his hand over my shirt, from my lower waist to my chest. I told my supervisors what he had done, then met with HR and reported the inappropriate behavior, but no one followed up. This man remained part of the team I reported to and worked for. Given my tenuous position at the company, I felt powerless.

In the past year alone, I have had to bring multiple different incidents of sexism to HR. Some of the men who work at SpaceX hug women without consent, stare at women while they work, and interpret every company-related social event as an opportunity to date (or hit on) women in the office. I saw one woman pressured into dancing with a male colleague in front of other male employees. When we had to work from home during the pandemic, men from the company found my Instagram account, messaging me to ask me out. One called my phone at 4:00 am. Another coworker came to my house and insisted on touching me even when I repeatedly requested we stay professional.

I reported each incident of sexual harassment I experienced to HR, and nothing was done.

Edited by mikegarrison

1 hour ago, mikegarrison said:

If this sounds really familiar, it's because it's quite similar to what was reported from Blue Origin a few months back. Not a coincidence -- the author said that seeing the Blue Origin report is what prompted her to go public on this.

Almost makes me want to go be an entomologist instead. 

3 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

https://www.lioness.co/post/at-spacex-we-re-told-we-can-change-the-world-just-don-t-try-to-stop-the-sexual-harassment

That's really disappointing. And also not unexpected.

8 minutes ago, cubinator said:

A Starship Mars sample return is something they should do with it before sending people.

I'm sure SpaceX will do a sample return before they send people.

Unsure whether they will do it via Starship+ISRU or something else. Starship could deploy a MAV via crane readily enough.

32 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

I'm sure SpaceX will do a sample return before they send people.

Unsure whether they will do it via Starship+ISRU or something else. Starship could deploy a MAV via crane readily enough.

An starship return trip would be an huge milestone, but not really needed as an test, doing an Moon free return and then do an burn to get up to Mars return velocity would work well enough as an full scale test and it would be an obvious TEST so few would get mad if it failed. Payload restrains is not relevant either. 

Benefit of starship is that you have it, it managed to land on Mars you will need isru anyway. And returning one give more data than just it can survive earth reentry. 
Also while the return module is pretty small, the direct return SpaceX thought about for red dragon would be 2-3 ton and or as an heavy tactical rocket and probably that they would use Now this has to be developed including the loader and an transporter to move it to an launch site, these two would probably be combined. 
Its an significant development cost for that would be an one time objective. 

Yes you could get the rocket down to something like an anti tank rocket if you had it dock in orbit but this would just inflate the development cost. 

1 hour ago, Gargamel said:

I just got into my hotel in Cocoa Beach.   Exhausted, really hoping they scrub for a day, but if anybody hears anything regarding this launch, ping me please. 

I highly doubt it’s going to launch, it was a monsoon, now it’s a hard drizzle with good winds.    

But even if it does go..... The visibility  sucks, and I was hoping to get some nice photos and video, and I’ll be disappointed.