SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

35 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

So - am I wrong to see the current SS builds as nothing more than 'proof of concept' and 'command and control software and systems' prototypes, but that actual, usable, StarShips will have to be significantly different from the cheap 'lets learn how to do this' stuff?

I remember seeing a picture of a prototype door section at Starbase.

While enlarging a fairing is non-trivial, it is something that we have seen on a number of rockets without causing major problems or vehicle re-designs.

Unless I am mistaken, currently a starship can support it's own weight without being pressurized.

Put those together, and it sounds like the changes to go from test vehicle to cargo vehicle fall into the 'known solutions' category.

Also, I think I remember hearing mention of a 'stretched fuel delivery' version?  If they try testing with this configuration, they might only need to move the tank bulkheads and add the door-version of the top section as far as design changes needed to get to a cargo carrying vehicle.

I dont think its a big challenge to redesign starship to include a door, the structural bracing needed to savely interupt the rings will simply add a bit of mass, just like the other mechanisms needed for the door. So propably there are some smart engineers currently busy evaluating different door designs to figure out which one adds the least mass while still being usefull.

4 hours ago, tater said:

Still firmly strapped together, which is why they start the engines offset in time differently than just F9.

This, N1 had some problems like engines could not be tested before launch as they had single use parts, and 1960 soviet electronic. 
The end result of the N1 engine program was very impressive as in in the shuttle engine level engine. 

SH will get static fired. Probably multiple times.

SH has been designed with powerful computer models that can simulate it to high fidelity—something completely impossible in the 1960s. Comparisons are ill founded.

First unofficial look at Raptor 2's plume

Quoting an insider:
"27 seconds of CH4 rich burn, then ratio change to full thrust almost lean burn. Launch profile transition."

You can see it changing to blue and then making mach diamonds after around the 34 second mark

Edited by Beccab

1 hour ago, Beccab said:

Quoting an insider:
"27 seconds of CH4 rich burn, then ratio change to full thrust almost lean burn. Launch profile transition."

You can see it changing to blue and then making mach diamonds after around the 34 second mark

Looks more like a camera exposure change to me, you can see the gantry behind the test stand get darker at the same time as the plume becomes pinker.

In general, I'm skeptical of insider sources. From what I've seen, their claims sound plausible, but are either completely unverifiable, or are simply extrapolations of information we already know. Occasionally, information we get from them is directly contradicted by what we see, or things Elon says (eg, the whole 'B4 isn't for flight' thing, or 'S21 will have the new design forward flaps'). 

Of course, we could chalk this up to SpaceX's flexible decision-making process, but in many cases that seems to imply that they decide to do something before backtracking on that decision within a matter of days. Until we see things officially confirmed, I prefer to err on the side of caution.

1 hour ago, tater said:

$#@T$%#^%$#^%$#W% $#@#^&*%$#@%^&*(

Ship should be sent a bill for the cost today.

Land booster on deck, deploy RoboKaren to talk to the manager captain. <_<

30 minutes ago, Lukaszenko said:

How does that even work? Don't they have...I don't know, radios or something nowadays?

never underestimate the power of human stupidity. -_-

Spoiler

giphy.gif