SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

3 minutes ago, Minmus Taster said:

If the chopsticks do the raising that's going to be very nerve-racking

Chances are that they will, I expect to see the preparations today before the final stacking is tomorrow. Though, given that the presentation is at 8pm thursay is an option too

4 minutes ago, RCgothic said:

I think Eric is right here:

Getting humans to Mars remains the ultimate goal, of course. And certainly, someone will ask Musk when he thinks the first humans will fly on Starship to Mars. It's a dumb question, because no one knows. Musk doesn't. NASA doesn't. I don't. There are a hundred critical funding and technical and regulatory hurdles that must be leaped before humans launch on a mission to Mars.

If it happens in the next 10 years, it would be a miracle. But also, it won't happen in our lifetimes unless Starship is a success. Such are the stakes of SpaceX's effort.

8 minutes ago, coyotesfrontier said:

The forbidden Probodobodyne PENT cores!

Or the killer satellite core :targetpro: It was designed to aim in on selected targets and do an high speed intercept. To flight proof the core it was used on an series of satellites to verify it worked well. 
It did not work out as well as it saw any close flyby as an target and tried to intercept it. 
After the Bob incident pentagon cores was deorbited or if not an option the satellites was put in an graveyard orbit burned out of fuel.
Yes it was an cost saving measure of integrating the RC-001S  and mechjeb onto an HECS core while retaining the reaction wheel.
Note mechjeb should not be used outside emergency or under pilot or ground station control. 

9 hours ago, Beccab said:

Great live coverage by both labpadre and NSF, here's hoping the lift is during the day

Looks like we shouldn't get excited for anything but a stack.  (Could be wrong) But if you look at the first vid (Chopsticks meet 20) the 'crane hooks' on the nose cone are still present.  I'd think that for a flight, they'd unbolt the hooks and install tiles.

Just now, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Looks like we shouldn't get excited for anything but a stack.  (Could be wrong) But if you look at the first vid (Chopsticks meet 20) the 'crane hooks' on the nose cone are still present.  I'd think that for a flight, they'd unbolt the hooks and install tiles.

Oh absolutely, this is a complete fit check which has the second purpose of being used for the presentation. Then B4 has to be static fired and the OLM water deluge tested, plus more that may be revealed tomorrow

Back on topic, livestreamers at the place have just been told to go behind the road block. We are getting closer

1 hour ago, Beccab said:

Oh absolutely, this is a complete fit check which has the second purpose of being used for the presentation. Then B4 has to be static fired and the OLM water deluge tested, plus more that may be revealed tomorrow

Back on topic, livestreamers at the place have just been told to go behind the road block. We are getting closer

Yes, SN 20 will be expended. Later on they will add legs and land them on Hawaii or some other place in the pacific. Now I have no idea how they plan to land back at starbase as it will require overflying Mexico unless at an pretty high inclination. No Mexico don't have missiles able to intercept it is not excuse :) 
And you have https://www.newsflare.com/video/477387/a-meteorite-was-seen-falling-over-northern-mexico-it-was-actually-the-second-stage-of-a-spacex-falcon-9

I have an feeling they will land on an oil rig and then do an fly back. Not sure about the rules for this on the KSC, they landed shuttles on it and a failing starship would probably end up eastward but doubt probably or mostly cut it. 
Still guess they have some sort of landing legs on the cargo version because starship abort modes as in superheavy failed during launch so we will do an emergency landing in Spain and recover your $2B satellite and relaunch it at our cost. 

27 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

Now I have no idea how they plan to land back at starbase as it will require overflying Mexico unless at an pretty high inclination. No Mexico don't have missiles able to intercept it is not excuse

Mexico has the Squad HQ. They can land and refuel.

35 minutes ago, Damien_The_Unbeliever said:

All indications currently are no, they don't plan to add legs. Not for terrestrial use. The catch arms aren't badly named and aren't just for stacking.

Currently it is not widely believed that they will catch the ship with the arms. The booster, yes, but not the ship, at least not for a while.