SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

Just now, tater said:

Maybe the thrust structure/plumbing is for Raptor, and they are not bothering with that, and will switch to Raptor 2?

Can confirm that 22 is made to fit only Raptor 1, not sure if that's the reason though. It would make sense

The material costs of SS/SH are incredibly low (steel), and the workers are paid full time I would imagine. So if they want R2 in play ASAP, and they will not need such a vehicle until they are permitted to fly—as a first flight (dumping B4/S20), or as a flight after 4/20, then they might as well scrap the depricated versions. 5 R2 per week (~10 already built) gets them where they need to be pretty quickly, but that assume they build the same number of Rvac and Rboost as part of that mix.

We of course don't know what they know. It might not just be simplification and cost, R2 might be more reliable as well, which would be a powerful incentive to change over to it, though I am still hoping they fly the 4/20 stack.

On top of tomorrow's Starlink, NextSpaceflight now lists another Starlink from Vandemberg on the 25th, totaling in 7 flights up until the end of february (2 in january, 3 on the first three days of february and now these two) or one launch behind the target of one per week in 2022.

Taking a look at the schedule of the next two months and considering that Starlinks have been consistently averaging at one every two weeks, we have:

- two non-Starlink F9 in March, plus one FH which may slip

- 8(!) non-Starlink F9 in April, plus another FH

Personally, I'm betting on 10ish F9s between march and april and one FH, but we'll have to wait and see!

Edited by Beccab

The SpaceX commentaries are ok, but I wish it wasn't exactly the same every time. I could give the presentation...They could try to have some special focus on a particular aspect of the flight or vehicle each time, or just quiet down and let us listen to the vent lines for a while...

Just now, cubinator said:

The SpaceX commentaries are ok, but I wish it wasn't exactly the same every time. I could give the presentation...They could try to have some special focus on a particular aspect of the flight or vehicle each time, or just quiet down and let us listen to the vent lines for a while...

I'm guessing they're more interested in getting and hooking new viewers onto the broadcast, SpaceX, and space in general, than in satisfying the ones who are already interested. So, in that regard, repeating the same basic stuff over and over does make sense.

2 minutes ago, cubinator said:

They want new viewers to be informed. Also, at least they only start 15 min before launch. You can always listen to just the mission control audio.

yeah, generally I would prefer just the mission control and rocket—ages ago they had 2 streams, one with the patter, one that was mission control and rocket audio, and I always watched the one without youtube patter.

Just now, tater said:

yeah, generally I would prefer just the mission control and rocket—ages ago they had 2 streams, one with the patter, one that was mission control and rocket audio, and I always watched the one without youtube patter.

I used to do the same thing, though you couldn't hear the liftoff normally AFAIK.

Edited by Entropian
grahamharr

Pretty sure the strap on boosters are all supposed to be disposed around the core. That thing looks like a gimballing nightmare.

#ItWorkedInKerbalSpaceProgram

Edited by KSK

1 minute ago, Beccab said:

Looks like SpaceX is testing the limits of the F9 fleet leaders, with higher reentry temperatures and shorter entry burns

Clearly if they were a "serious" company they would have spent a good 10+ years doing simulations, and done the entry burn this way the very first time. Today might have been the very first F9 launch, AND the first landing, AND with a minimal entry burn... if only they did this the well-established, old way!

And they still would have beaten BO!

9 minutes ago, Beccab said:

Looks like SpaceX is testing the limits of the F9 fleet leaders, with higher reentry temperatures and shorter entry burns

Will be interesting to see what they learn from this - and whether they change F9s specs.  Guessing being able to come in hotter means they can throw more weight in the future?