SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

58 minutes ago, GuessingEveryDay said:

I dunno, it seems similar to what amputee-sprinters use for track-and-field. The dampening comes from how thick the material is, which helps with stability.

Sprinters don't want damping. They want as much energy returned as possible.

1 hour ago, mikegarrison said:

Yeah. Unsure if the materials people can customize the damping. If that's not a thing, then the idea is DOA. If it can be done, then it might have some promise.

13 minutes ago, tater said:

Yeah. Unsure if the materials people can customize the damping. If that's not a thing, then the idea is DOA. If it can be done, then it might have some promise.

I didn't read the news item, but I'm assuming they're intended to be at least partially sacrificial and rapidly replaceable. In which case we have our old friend, Elastic Failure.

Band name, calling dibs!

4 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

It will be amazing when Starship and SLS are side by side. Two crew launch vehicles actually intended to fly missions (as opposed to one of two Shuttles being for emergencies only) being side by side is pretty cool, even if the current Orion on the pad isn’t even crew capable IIRC.

This might be the first instance in history of this happening, because I think the early dual Soyuz missions were rolled out one at a time.

I believe that has already happened with Gemini and the Atlas Agena carrying the docking target actually

24 minutes ago, Beccab said:

I believe that has already happened with Gemini and the Atlas Agena carrying the docking target actually

Atlas Agena didn't have a capsule on it.

Similarly, Saturn Ib and Saturn V (Skylab):

13w2I.jpg

Also Shuttle:

Space_shuttles_Atlantis_(STS-125)_and_En

And in the above image, both vehicles are full flight articles. Artemis I could not actually carry crew.

17 minutes ago, tater said:

The 2 hour crew coverage... Meh. Will maybe turn it back on later.

For crew at least it makes sense, most of the events happen long before launch (suit up was t-3h 30m). I'm keeping it on the background

8 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Somebody want to give me the TLDR single sentence of what axiom is?

A private company building a new space station that is set to be temporarily attached to ISS before free flying:

axiom-segment-879x485.jpg

Module 1 under construction (Thales) to be attached in 2024.

All nominal so far

Entry burn

Nice vid from booster

All the way down!

Epic landing video

Edited by tater

That grid fin maneuvering has looked like it was getting pretty close to a roll resonance right after entry burn shutdown during the last couple launches. I hope they can check that out and make sure it doesn't get out of hand.

On 4/7/2022 at 2:40 AM, mikegarrison said:

Yes, benefit of that leg is that it return most of the energy absorbed, our legs does it but jumping animals are much better at this.