SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

6 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

More important question: was anyone thanked for fish??  

I better go get my towel... :o

I, for one, find it mighty suspicious that they cut the audio feed when the dolphin turned up. I bet it was whistling the Star Spangled Banner. 

7 hours ago, KSK said:

I, for one, find it mighty suspicious that they cut the audio feed when the dolphin turned up. I bet it was whistling the Star Spangled Banner. 

To me, that looked like a re-play with close-up specifically added to the tweet, not part of the original broadcast, so any audio would have just been a repeat of what was just said.

1 hour ago, tater said:

Seems like keeping small craft out of there would be nontrivial.

Who generally enforces the booster landing exclusion zone when it is down range like that and particularly within non-US waters?  I know we have fairly tight maritime coordination with the Bahamas so would the USCG be involved?

7 hours ago, darthgently said:

Who generally enforces the booster landing exclusion zone when it is down range like that and particularly within non-US waters?  I know we have fairly tight maritime coordination with the Bahamas so would the USCG be involved?

I am pretty sure no one can legally enforce an exclusion zone in international waters.

1 minute ago, mikegarrison said:

am pretty sure no one can legally enforce an exclusion zone in international waters.

Yes, I'm specifically addressing the landing under discussion which will clearly happen well within Bahamian waters, not international, waters. 

6 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

I am pretty sure no one can legally enforce an exclusion zone in international waters.

There's International Laws, like the Law of the Sea and others.  And NOTAMs (Notice to Airmen) and NOTMARs (Notice to Mariners) are issued for International airspace and waters under those restrictions.  Rockets have had launch corridors and booster impact zones for a long time, so I'm sure there are ways to give notice of exclusion zones.  Flying or sailing into them would be considered a critical error by the aircraft's or ship's Master and would have consequences even if they got lucky.

https://www.americaspace.com/2022/05/09/scott-poteet-discusses-inspiration4-and-polaris-dawn-missions-part-2/

More info on Polaris 1! This interview, other than confirming that the program's main goal is to simplify the transition from F9 to Starship, presents the (current) full plan for the mission:

- EVA training begins training later this month, about a couple weeks from now, with deep water diving near the coast of California.

- After that Scott Poteet, as part of the research conduced in the mission related to the Spaceflight Associated Neuro-Ocular Syndrome, will receive a neurosurgery to  insert a catheter in the spinal space within his spine to measure the pressure during their time in space and back on the ground.

- If everything goes right, about six months from now the crew will launch from Cape; the current Dragon slated for the mission is Resilience, which flew both Crew-1 and Inspiration4. The placeholder NET is November 1st.

- The mission will test modifications to the Dragon's trunk to allow using Starlink in orbit, given the quite limited capabilities available currently.

- The initial highly elliptic orbit they will be placed in has an apogee of 1,400 kilometers and an apogee of 190; this is about the altitude of Gemini XI. After a few orbits, in order not to make too many passes on the Van Allen belts, as well as to make an instant emergency deorbit easier, the apogee will be reduced to 750 km.

- At that altitude there will be the first EVA: the whole spacecraft will be depressurized, with the crew connected with an umbical and a tether to the life support equipment located under the seats. Who is going to EVA is unknown, but it will be two astronauts going out one at a time through the "forward hatch"; I'm not sure if that is the door the astronaut enter and exit the capsule on the ground or the one used on the ISS, but the fact that Poteet mentions the nose hatch as one of the areas they must not touch makes me curious. The other two will remain on their seats, one managing the EVA and the other being prepared for any medical emergency, and the duration probably between 40 and 90 minutes.

- Last but not least, there's another possible part of the flight: some Cubesats are being evaluated to be deployed from the Dragon during the mission, including one that features a 360 degrees camera to depict the EVA. Exciting stuff!

4 hours ago, Jacke said:

There's International Laws, like the Law of the Sea and others.  And NOTAMs (Notice to Airmen) and NOTMARs (Notice to Mariners) are issued for International airspace and waters under those restrictions.  Rockets have had launch corridors and booster impact zones for a long time, so I'm sure there are ways to give notice of exclusion zones.  Flying or sailing into them would be considered a critical error by the aircraft's or ship's Master and would have consequences even if they got lucky.

Yes, but as far as I know, if you are on the high seas, outside of any country's economic exclusion zone, there is no one who can declare an enforceable navigational exclusion area. You can issue a NOTAM, but it is advisory only.

I think that inside the EEZ of a country, while all vessels have a right to navigation, they must do so under the regulations of that country. I would guess that might mean temporary exclusion areas for something like this would be enforceable in the EEZ, but I'm not 100% certain either way. The EEZ extends out 200 miles from the coast, except where it conflicts with some other country's EEZ.

1 hour ago, mikegarrison said:

Yes, but as far as I know, if you are on the high seas, outside of any country's economic exclusion zone, there is no one who can declare an enforceable navigational exclusion area. You can issue a NOTAM, but it is advisory only.

I think that inside the EEZ of a country, while all vessels have a right to navigation, they must do so under the regulations of that country. I would guess that might mean temporary exclusion areas for something like this would be enforceable in the EEZ, but I'm not 100% certain either way. The EEZ extends out 200 miles from the coast, except where it conflicts with some other country's EEZ.

Who is correct but the other part has the option to launch anyway who they might well do if obviously trolled. 
EEZ is economical as in fish and oil, but also pollution from ships. Territorial waters is 22 km yes that is artillery range 100 years ago but then you are at war. 

10 minutes ago, RyanRising said:

How will we tell it they worked or not?

Well, this was the booster yesterday:

It looks like it completed one full cryo, which means that it returned at least to the level it was before the downcomer broke. If they do at least another cryo without bringing it back to the high bay then the issue is probably fixed.

Some news:

Edited by Beccab