SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

9 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

The local airport wanted one, right?  Maybe it's on its way there.

Possible, but unlikely. We would have seen more signs that they were about to move a 15 story building all the way to Brownsville

Just now, Beccab said:

Possible, but unlikely. We would have seen more signs that they were about to move a 15 story building all the way to Brownsville

Maybe it's going to the launch pad and then hop to the airport.

Or maybe it's going to live at a farm up state.:(

1 hour ago, Beccab said:

Curious. I wonder what's the reason, perhaps to test the new Wide Bay facilities or even just make scrapping easier?

Your theory is more likely as to test facilities while they wait for permits and everything to get ready to maybe get it ready to transport it to Brownsville

Raptor go boom at McGregor yesterday? New engine, or test to destruction? Nobody seems to know...

E: And another one bites the dust? Now I have Queen running through my head. Twitter thread starting to think they're testing rapid re-firing engines. Hopefully it's not a Bad Batch...

Edited by StrandedonEarth

I would have thought that if they hadn't meant to that to destruction they'd have stopped after the first one went to investigate what went wrong.

Two in quick succession actually implies they meant to do that, IMO

I'm not so sure.

If you are mass producing engines, then you need to expect the some sort of failure rate.   (That is part of why they test every engine).  So if the first one failed unexpectedly for a random reason, they may well have continued testing other engines whilst they investigated the failure.  But if two failed unexpectedly in a short period, that suggests there might be a problem.

Are they still testing raptors, or have they now paused?   

31 minutes ago, AVaughan said:

Are they still testing raptors, or have they now paused?   

They tested an Rvac for three and a half minutes four hours after the failure, then it was night and tests only happen with daylight I believe. It's now early morning, so we'll see if they still do tests today