SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

1 hour ago, RCgothic said:

Psyche slips to next year.

It may never launch at all sadly, NASA is conducting an investigation into the probe and if it's worth the investment, in my opinion a very sudden and drastic action for a relatively minor issue in the greater scheme of things.

On 6/24/2022 at 12:40 PM, Minmus Taster said:

It may never launch at all sadly, NASA is conducting an investigation into the probe and if it's worth the investment, in my opinion a very sudden and drastic action for a relatively minor issue in the greater scheme of things.

I think this is a mandatory review since it missed its window - they’ll almost certainly come out with “yeah, it is.”

1 hour ago, Brotoro said:

How many strakes does that Heavy have?

and what the heck is in the lower right? It looks like giant-sized planks of wood, but that can't be right.

Like Mad Robert the Second said, it is indeed wood. Called “cribbing” in this use, wood is incompressible (mostly) so it’s often used to support really really heavy things and keep them from shifting or sinking. Used a lot when jacking up buildings for relocation, too. 

And in other news, seems work on the oil rigs is indeed proceeding, even if at an SLS’s snail’s pace… <_<

re: launch table segment spotted on highway. 

5 hours ago, Brotoro said:

How many strakes does that Heavy have?

2 stakes and 2 chines - SpaceX kindly decided to settle the debate about whether they count as chines or stakes  by adding two of both. The old ones also serve as COPV aerocovers by keeping them protected, while the new ones are empty inside and have the only function of helping control the descent

3 hours ago, Beccab said:

2109569.jpg

Interesting to see a heat graph that middles around 400 kW/m2. For reference, one of these propane burners gives off around 3kW of heat:

Propane gas blow torch - All industrial manufacturers

(Image source)

You'd need 133 of them to deliver 400 kW. I don't think there's enough room to pack 133 of those onto one square meter. If the bottle is 5 cm across you could do 20 side-by-side in a meter, but you'd need more than five such rows in the other direction, and I think the burner+bottle is taller than 20 cm, so they wouldn't all fit.

Still, they give a pretty impressive mental image of the heating those wing root parts of Starship are going through. Imagine a stack of propane burners packed as tightly side-by-side as possible, and stacked on top of each other, each giving off their blue-hot flames. That's still less energy than the heating faced by certain parts of Starship. Less than half of the maximum, if the graph is any indication.