SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

3 hours ago, RCgothic said:

I know there is essentially no chance of this happening, but I can’t help but wonder how big of a crew it would take (and how much of an infrastructure investment) to station a booster or three and a deoneship at Kourou for GEO-bound launches…

They could probably slap an FH booster nose cone on the boosters and fly them there…

Edited by StrandedonEarth
Triple post… I think that happens when not on the last page and creating a reply, especially on mobile…

Launch coverage live. T-4 minutes

Weather looks clear and nice in Vandenberg.

Liftoff.

Looking fine.

MECO. Stage 2 good. Fairing sep.

4th flight for both fairing halves.

Interesting tidbits (ice, I assume) drifting off of booster.

5 minutes ago, TKMK said:

Is that suggesting a falcon heavy flight could be soon?

just looked at the launch schedule and didnt realise so many missions where lined up. oops.

Yeah, it's been ready to launch for like a year with its payload continuously getting delayed. It's not much of a surprise honestly, big and expensive satellites are always going to see delays before launch (except that NROL sat that had been delayed since last october, no idea what's going on with that one)

19 hours ago, TKMK said:

i remember being a kid watching the first falcon heavy flight, and then the boosters coming in to land. was very cool to my tiny brain back then.

Geez, seriously? Are you trying to make me feel ancient on purpose? I remember being a kid watching the Gemini 7 flight. :D

56 minutes ago, Kerwood Floyd said:

Geez, seriously? Are you trying to make me feel ancient on purpose? I remember being a kid watching the Gemini 7 flight. :D

I made a scrapbook project for cub scouts about the Gemini 6 & 7 rendezvous mission. So I'll feel old along with you. :) 

1 hour ago, Kerwood Floyd said:

43 minutes ago, Brotoro said:

I made a scrapbook project for cub scouts about the Gemini 6 & 7 rendezvous mission. So I'll feel old along with you. :) 

I was really little, and my mother told me I watched all of them, but the first one I remember was Apollo 11—and even that is more about the "event" than the actual flight I think since I have seen it replayed so many times, I can't be sure of THOSE memories. I can be sure about remembering all the family in WI (North Bay, Racine) at our house, because I guess we had the best TV.

I feel old because I just dropped my daughter off at her dorm at UNM, and she got my exact dorm room... and that was 39 years ago. Yikes.

When I was 4 I was obsessed with space and had memorized the planets, many moons and various space and moon missions. My mom worked at Dartmouth and we were told Crista McCaulliffe was going to come visit us at our pre-k when she got back from space. Watching the Challenger explosion live was my first experience of death, and my first lesson that things on the news can and will affect your life. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

On 8/12/2022 at 10:31 PM, TKMK said:

i remember being a kid watching the first falcon heavy flight, and then the boosters coming in to land. was very cool to my tiny brain back then.

Well, now I feel old. :(

16 hours ago, tater said:

the first one I remember was Apollo 11

16 hours ago, Brotoro said:

I made a scrapbook project for cub scouts about the Gemini 6 & 7 rendezvous mission

17 hours ago, Kerwood Floyd said:

I remember being a kid watching the Gemini 7 flight. 

Now I feel less old. :D

13 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

When I was 4 I was obsessed with space and had memorized the planets, many moons and various space and moon missions. My mom worked at Dartmouth and we were told Crista McCaulliffe was going to come visit us at our pre-k when she got back from space. Watching the Challenger explosion live was my first experience of death, and my first lesson that things on the news can and will affect your life. 

...and now I feel sad. ;.;

Don't know if this has been posted.  Lot of stuff we who trawl this thread already know... But it is a good summation - and on the topic I'm most interested in: what will we do with SS once it's flying. 

SCIENCE HAS MOSTLY been an afterthought for Musk. But Heldmann has been surprised that, for many planetary scientists, Starship has also been an afterthought.

https://www.science.org/content/article/space-scientists-ready-starship-biggest-rocket-ever

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli