SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

46 minutes ago, CBase said:

Did I missed something or had SX sent out 3 static fire warnings in a row without any testing taking place, substantial action around the test points or comments ?

There were attempts, but the second was aborted and the third cancelled after most of the window was spent with workers checking the engine section from the lifts. There's another one for today

Question about starlink 2 on the first  Starship launch. 
The first launch will have an Ap of 350 Km (from memory) but an Pe so low it will splash down in the Pacific. I assume this is to make sure it will splash down safely even if they loose control of it after second engine cutoff. 
Raises the question about the starlink 2 satellites, I assume they will also deorbit even if it just misses 70 m/s to reach orbit because they are just powered by ion engines with low trust. 
So will they be boosted somehow or will this be an pure deployment test to test that they survive launch, that the pez dispenser and the unfolding of solar panels and shades work?

4 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

The first launch will have an Ap of 350 Km (from memory) but an Pe so low it will splash down in the Pacific. I assume this is to make sure it will splash down safely even if they loose control of it after second engine cutoff. 

That was the original trajectory published last year; from what I've heard, it's been since changed to an orbital flight with deorbit burn after the first trip around Earth. I'm not 100% sure tho