SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

5 minutes ago, Cuky said:

if that is the feature of Raptor engines

It is! The "raptor honk" has been noticed a while ago and has only gotten stronger with Raptor 2, iirc someone speculated it's due to the turbopumps spinning down and creating some sort of resonance with each other. It's probably going to be the final sound of most Starship landing videos some time from now, though I'm not sure it's still there if the engines throttle down before shutting off

That price seems a bit steep doesn't it? I mean, they were talking about how much they will save per seat in comparison to launching astronauts on Soyuz, but if quick google search wasn't wrong it is "only" $15 million per seat saving. TBH, I expected Dragon ticket to be much cheaper.

1 hour ago, Cuky said:

That price seems a bit steep doesn't it? I mean, they were talking about how much they will save per seat in comparison to launching astronauts on Soyuz, but if quick google search wasn't wrong it is "only" $15 million per seat saving. TBH, I expected Dragon ticket to be much cheaper.

I think that may be skewed by the fact that dragon got cut down to four seats instead of seven because IIRC they couldn't get touchdown forces within acceptable levels or something like that. Granted NASA wouldn't have used all seven anyway but there is also some cargo in there in place of the 3 seats, so the cost per seat also includes some cargo.

And all space projects grow in cost.

Most Americans would probably agree that even if the costs were equal, it is better to have that money spent domestically than abroad in a country we haven't tended to have great relations with.

1 hour ago, Cuky said:

I was thinking the same thing, but one also has to account for inflation 

9 hours ago, Cuky said:

7 hours ago, Codraroll said:

And the very likely possibility that Roscosmos would keep cranking up prices to no end if they had maintained their monopoly.

https://www.teslarati.com/spacex-filing-massive-building-bastrop/

"SpaceX is constructing a ‘shell building’ that will be 521,521 square feet. The estimated cost of the project is $43 million and the building is expected to be completed by July 2023."

Location that some rumor said was Musk wanting to build an airport, and he said that would be silly, Austin already had an airport.

Starlink Mfg?

Any thought of they removing the heat tiles on ship 26? 
Yes I get that they might want to focus on launches to get more starlink 2 satellites up and making disposable ships let them build them faster as the tiles are time consuming to attach. 
I also think its quite some time before they can reuse starship, for one Boca  Chica is an problematic place to recover starship as most orbits will overfly Mexico during reentry just to state one issue. That might be easier at KSC there its more open area around, they still has to overfly Florida. 

However why don't just use the 26 parts on an later launch with heat tiles to test out the reentry and landing on say the 5 launch? 

1 hour ago, magnemoe said:

Any thought of they removing the heat tiles on ship 26? 
Yes I get that they might want to focus on launches to get more starlink 2 satellites up and making disposable ships let them build them faster as the tiles are time consuming to attach. 
I also think its quite some time before they can reuse starship, for one Boca  Chica is an problematic place to recover starship as most orbits will overfly Mexico during reentry just to state one issue. That might be easier at KSC there its more open area around, they still has to overfly Florida. 

However why don't just use the 26 parts on an later launch with heat tiles to test out the reentry and landing on say the 5 launch? 

Where did you read that they are removing the tiles? I certainly can't find it..