SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

34 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I wonder why they are doing so many of those. Also, page 1500!

Better have a lot of those, and them being successful, then to go do a first launch, hype it all up only for vehicle to even start it's engines. NASA, Boeing and co. are already doing that, let's have SpaceX at least do it properly. If it blows mid flight then there is some work to do, but at least get to "take off" part without having to abort because of some hardware issue that wasn't checked before.

On 9/18/2022 at 6:24 PM, tater said:

NSF is reporting new Raptors with blast shields are there, though the only picture is of one on the horizontal stand.

Fc7fjKyWAAAxFSn?format=jpg&name=large

This is surprising, I would expect the blast shield to be part of the bottom dome, this way it could do double duty as structure supporting the weight. 

15 minutes ago, Cuky said:

Better have a lot of those, and them being successful, then to go do a first launch, hype it all up only for vehicle to even start it's engines. NASA, Boeing and co. are already doing that, let's have SpaceX at least do it properly. If it blows mid flight then there is some work to do, but at least get to "take off" part without having to abort because of some hardware issue that wasn't checked before.

I am well aware of that, I'm just curious as to what gremlins are in the engines that they have needed to do so many spin primes.

2 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I am well aware of that, I'm just curious as to what gremlins are in the engines that they have needed to do so many spin primes.

I am not sure, but seems to me that they do spin primes before every static fire, at least with Booster 7 since they started testing. Maybe that is part of getting raptors ready to fire properly. Or maybe just a test they do before they test so that they don't blow up the whole thing when they go to fire it up for static test because of faulty fuel line or something.

1 minute ago, RCgothic said:

And another thread on some nose cone weirdness:

Ahh, the ultimate conclusion to the "the best part is no part" philosophy.

One must admit, it does make rocketry a fair bit easier if one doesn't have to bother with the fragile payload and all the moving parts required to release it.

1 hour ago, Codraroll said:

One must admit, it does make rocketry a fair bit easier if one doesn't have to bother with the fragile payload and all the moving parts required to release it.

Still, it might be fun to put a BO capsule in  as a test payload and beat BO at getting one into orbit, or at least a longer suborbital flight.  Jeff would be steamed 

Unrelated, but automerged:

MVAC on recent F9 launch blowing a lot of green for an extended period during first burn and still has more upcoming burns on its punch list to do.  Is that common? I hadn't noticed before if so

Edited by darthgently

14 hours ago, Codraroll said:

Now this is very weird, if its not 26 who is the first they try to launch? 
Its the most dangerous launch after all so don't bother trying with payload or reentry. 
On the next mission perhaps they add some starlink 2 satellites and ship 24 is the 3rd to launch. 

Yes they talk about disposable Starships but I assume that is because its time consuming to make the heat shield and they will not reuse them anyway as they cant land Starship back at Boka Chica.  Its still very useful to test reentry and landing but if they want to launch more than that to get some starlink 2 up for testing