SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

New Air Force video on the point to point cargo program.  Definitely looks like "starship but not starship", possibly without the last two words considering that the program aims to "leverage commercial rocket capabilities as a leased service" - leaving only Starship and maybe New Glenn /Jarvis

37 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

The chest at 00:30 is flying itself???

There are cables attached to a crane.

How they get it down at the other end, however, is much less clear to me.

Edited by Deddly

Oooooooooh lunar starship

Interesting.

My main worry is that the lunar starship will not be able to land in many places, because of its height. (Because a tall craft has a higher center of mass, and the higher it goes, the less stable it is on a slope). Apollo's Lunar Lander had a maximum safe angle of launch of 12 degrees, (safe Launch angle, not maximum tip angle). I'm not sure what Starships is...

So it may be only to land in certain places, less compared to what Apollo could do.

1 hour ago, TKMK said:

My main worry is that the lunar starship will not be able to land in many places, because of its height. (Because a tall craft has a higher center of mass, and the higher it goes, the less stable it is on a slope). Apollo's Lunar Lander had a maximum safe angle of launch of 12 degrees, (safe Launch angle, not maximum tip angle). I'm not sure what Starships is...

So it may be only to land in certain places, less compared to what Apollo could do.

If the center of mass was exactly halfway up the ship and the landing legs did not protrude outside of the 9m diameter, the maximum tilt would be about 10 degrees, although the actual safe level would be set lower. The steepest Apollo landing was about 11 degrees (Apollo 15).

I believe the center of mass will be significantly lower due to the ascent propellant, and, of course, the landing gear is not set in stone.

It will definitely be easier to tip than Apollo, but I don't think it will be prohibitively so.

On 10/8/2022 at 9:46 AM, Deddly said:

There are cables attached to a crane.

How they get it down at the other end, however, is much less clear to me.

There was a barely visible set of rails that the crate slid down.

I wouldn't read too much into this. It's pretty much fantasy. Cargo planes can carry more stuff, much cheaper, almost as fast. But then it wouldn't be the USSF getting the credit....

4 hours ago, TKMK said:

Oooooooooh lunar starship

Interesting.

See no reason why they could not use wider landing legs. once they are out of the atmosphere they will not need to be retracted. 
For point to point transport on earth you don't need wide legs as you will land on concrete or steel plates.  Main issue here is probably rocks rater than slopes as you don't want to operate if its to sloped anyway.