SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

31 minutes ago, Deddly said:

What's the greenish stuff dripping onto the landing pad at 23:50 (video time, not T+ time)?

Ectoplasm.

(OK, no, really? I don't know, but there is a clear green flash that is reminiscent of TEA-TEB just after touchdown. Maybe they flush their starter fluid as part of making the rocket safer to handle?)

Edited by mikegarrison

4 minutes ago, Deddly said:

Didn't they used to squeeze 60 in there? Have they gotten bigger/heavier?

Slightly heavier since they were 60 I believe, but the main difference is that they changed the target orbit. The most favourable shell that Cape launches could fill is full now, the new ones go to more deltaV expensive inclinations.

In case the current shells are filled before the F9 Starlink launches are retired in favour of the SS Starlink v2 ones (pretty likely), at some point there's going to be even less, 50 or so

Edited by Beccab

More details on the Dragon Hubble servicing mission study

There isn't a lot of time left to choose between reboost and deorbit; considering that NASA will not wait for the 50% chance of natural deorbit in '35, they would have to launch a deorbit module a few years before that in order not to risk it doing a Skylab

Liftoff, MaxQ, MECO, fairing sep, landing and now SECO are all done. Successful launch so far, the landing was really dead center

I know this gets said every launch, but I'm impressed by how unnoticed this F9 launch went lol. Out of the space journalists i check only Sheetz had anything on it, not even NSF

It needs to be a URL link. Either select "open image in new tab" and then copy the URL from the address bar, or download the image and reupload it to an image hosting site like IMGBB, which will give you a link as part of the process.

Then click insert image from URL in the bottom right of the forum reply editor.

Alternatively tweets insert automatically when a link to the tweet is pasted into the editor. Sometimes just needs a few spaces adding after the end of the URL.

On 10/16/2022 at 11:48 PM, Deddly said:

What's the greenish stuff dripping onto the landing pad at 23:50 (video time, not T+ time)?

Spoiler

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e617773

Where do they keep this thing?
They say, it's a blast pit.
Is this tower to hide it?

Spoiler

dd03bdc9e4ba0d1cc94c2611da78374d.jpg

Edited by kerbiloid