SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

36 minutes ago, RCgothic said:

Potentially the 4th most thrusty rocket ever fired then after N1, Saturn V and Energia. At least for the next few hours...

Now do thrust * exhaust velocity! 

As requested:

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=56960.0;

Also I updated the last one:

Spoiler

Edited by sevenperforce

1 hour ago, mikegarrison said:

I was like, "why are Shuttle and SLS separate bars?"

Minor confusion on my part between the new SLS and the old STS, which was the "Space Transportation System" (aka  "the Shuttle").

You would have been really confused if I had gone with my first draft, which called them “STS” and “SLS”.

2 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

As requested:

Also I updated the last one:

Hide contents

I was studying this chart comparing Shuttle, SLS, N1 and Raptors thinking 'wow; those are some powerful rockets'.  A little time passed before I actually even glanced at the left side of the chart.

That Falcon 9 is total weak-sauce.  Will never amount to much.

25 minutes ago, Piscator said:

Is that a crewed demo of a landing or a demo of a crewed landing? In the second case, you wouldn't necessarily have to have people on board. It would probably suffice to have life support and so on working flawlessly.

It's a crewed landing.

• Artemis I is tonight (we hope). Uncrewed SLS Block 1 all-up test.
  • Artemis II is the first crewed flight of SLS. Lunar free-return.
  • Artemis III is the first crewed lunar landing of the program. Orion and Starship HLS will meet up free-flying in cislunar space for the transfers.
  • Artemis IV is the first crewed visit to Gateway.

This announcement adds a crewed landing to Artemis IV and says it will happen via Starship HLS through the Gateway.

18 hours ago, RCgothic said:

I'd hope either of the next two firings is with 33 engines. Wouldn't really want to go into a launch attempt without having fired them all at once!

Well, they could always take a page from SLS’s book… if they get all the way to clamp release, it’s a launch. Otherwise it was just a static fire. Totally planned it that way. <_<

10 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

So, like, what is the plan? They do one uncrewed landing, then two crewed "test" landings? What's the difference between a "crewed test landing" and something that is not a test. Do they stay longer on the surface if it is not a test?

Landing without leaving the vehicle?

Granted, that'd be like doing a cross-country drive to Disneyland, only to do a U-turn in the parking lot and driving home again.