SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

3 minutes ago, darthgently said:

Square rigs still go faster cross wind than downwind.  The square sails are trimmed to an angle to the beam wind.  No different than the angle of attack of a windmill blade. 

Common misconception.   Square rigs were not limited to downwind only.  Though they don't point into the wind nearly as well

Yeah, the best point of sail for a square-rigger is a broad reach. Downwind the foresails are in the lee of sails windward of them.

On topic: 11 hours

3 hours ago, tater said:

Naval sayings are more applicable to square riggers—for European navies anyway (since such sayings date to that period). Unsure what the best point of sail is on a junk rig, but for a square-rigger it's probably a broad reach (running puts the foresails behind other sails so they aren't doing anything).

Yes, reach to broad reach is best in a square rigs typically.  Leaning to broad reach (a bit downwind) to the degree the non sail portion of the ship creates drag in the air

The most common phrase of this type I'm aware of is wishing someone "fair winds and following seas".  The fair winds would ideally be on the beam and not so strong as too put the rail in the water or dump your coffee, and the swell and waves would be coming from aft mostly so the boat gets to surf a bit and never catch up to it's bow wave, so less hobby-horsing

And yes, waves and wind can come from different directions

2 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Supposedly they are preparing for a chopstick lift of B7:

e1skm7rzhi3a1.png

Let's hope they are doing "now we know the last thing we need to do before launch" work and not "that was fubar, back to the drawing board" work.

They just replaced two raptors, so i don't think it's going to the rocket garden yet

56 minutes ago, Beccab said:

They just replaced two raptors, so i don't think it's going to the rocket garden yet

Oh, I don't think this is a sign of rocket gardening at all.

Maybe they just need to make some final modifications to the pad that they can't do with B7 still there. I imagine there might be parts that need to be craned in through the center ring.

After the detonation event, the raptor vents were flex-hosed to the launch mount through the open aerocover panels. Both booster and launch mount need modifications for an alternative routing for launch, and then the booster needs its aerocovers reinstalling.

I wouldn't write B7 off yet.

Dear Moon crew has been announced! Notably, Tim Dodd is going! There are 8 primary crew and 2 backup crew. No timeline update. My biggest hope was that we would get at least one musician, and we appear to have gotten at least 3! (2 of them are not listed as musicians but are also musicians)

Full list:

DJ & producer Steve Aoki
Youtube creator Tim Dodd
Artist Yemi A.D.
Photographer Karim Iliya
Photographer Rhiannon Adam 
Filmmaker Brendan Hall
Actor Dev Joshi
Musician T.O.P.

Backup crew:

Dancer Miyu
Snowboarder Kaitlyn Farrington

Would be interesting to see dancing in zero g.

There was some talk a while back about having one or two professional astronauts along as well, if that is still the plan, they have not been announced yet.

31 minutes ago, tater said:

Odd choice for 9 crew. 8 would have allowed more options (2x Crew Dragon to/from LEO).

They might need a pilot for returning crew dragon? or maybe just want one for some kind of safety margin? Cuz then it would 3 crew dragon trips, each dropping off 3. Although I would have thought that uncrewed return of a dragon would be proven tech because of cargo dragon.

12 minutes ago, CastleKSide said:

They might need a pilot for returning crew dragon? or maybe just want one for some kind of safety margin? Cuz then it would 3 crew dragon trips, each dropping off 3. Although I would have thought that uncrewed return of a dragon would be proven tech because of cargo dragon.

Oh, yeah, I guess I forgot that Isaacman trained up to astronaut level effectively (he's got loads of jet time).

Still, 4 crew on an automated Dragon with 1 of them trained to be able to respond to ground control commands in an emergency is every bit as safe as 9 people going around the moon—or doing the Moon trip from the pad, and back to the pad on Starship.

I suppose one way to look at it is this trip is not any time soon.

Very exciting!

Some questions and thoughts come to mind-

-We know Polaris Mission III will be the first crewed Starship mission, so…

-Are there any potential differences between the first iterations of crew Starship for Polaris Mission III, and the crew Starship for dearMoon? If not…

-I wonder how soon dearMoon would then come after Polaris Mission III. Perhaps Polaris may inadvertently allow for a glimpse into a more realistic dearMoon launch date?