SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

26 minutes ago, Scotius said:

Nice soot :D

Hopefully weather will hold. Lightshow in the sky from three boosters should be spectacular.

45th Weather Squadron has the weather pretty good, except for fairing recovery—and that's bad tomorrow as well.

https://www.patrick.spaceforce.mil/Portals/14/Weather/Falcon Heavy USSF-67 L-1 Forecast - 14 Jan Launch.pdf?ver=mD1mH8H7fjdXz9UcmXwnZw%3d%3d

22 hours ago, tater said:

5 full stacks sounds like 5 SS and 5 superheavy. Who makes little sense to me as they will start catching SH from first launch while its some time until they can reuse starships. Some early one will be disposable on purpose for starlink 2 launches and launch testing. 
Most obvious problem outside the technical reentry is that landing in Texas require overflight of Mexico, Florida and US overflight. 
In short they will be able to reuse superheavy this year but not SS. Yes they might well land one if lucky, two if I was Elon but say 3 SH for spares and focus on SS. 

8 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

Who makes little sense to me as they will start catching SH from first launch while its some time until they can reuse starships.

They will not attempt a catch for a long time I would wager. They will first boostback to a point in the Gulf, and make sure they can hit a virtual sot with the required accuracy/speed before they think about such an attempt.

18 minutes ago, tater said:

They will not attempt a catch for a long time I would wager. They will first boostback to a point in the Gulf, and make sure they can hit a virtual sot with the required accuracy/speed before they think about such an attempt.

Splashdown was the initial plan for first SH, it was an change to catch attempt. Now it could be changed again. But first stage is mostly like an falcon 9 first stage except grabbing it in the air . 

Just now, magnemoe said:

Splashdown was the initial plan for first SH, it was an change to catch attempt. Now it could be changed again. But first stage is mostly like an falcon 9 first stage except grabbing it in the air . 

No it wasn't. It was never changed to a catch.

Also, the twitter feed is ahead a few seconds.

My first live Falcon Heavy launch, this should be fun :) 

Weird to see the center booster without any of the landing equipment, was it built for this mission or modified?

One minute, lets light this candle :D

Liftoff!

BECO and boostback.

Gospeed core booster, second stage is away!