SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

Just now, sevenperforce said:

The people on NSF are discussing this. It may be that they only replace and refire those two engines, then proceed. 

Agreed tbh - if today's conditions were to happen on launch day, it'd be an abort and recycle to the next opportunity (with eventual engine replacement), which isn't bad

Oh for the love of little green dragons…. I knew I should have taken my break earlier!

Great to see that they could fire it on the first attempt, even if only 31 lit. Even better that there’s no apparent damage to the hardware, although the flapping birdware may beg to differ. I’m sure the deluge helped keep future concrete replacement to a minimum 

26 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

The people on NSF are discussing this. It may be that they only replace and refire those two engines, then proceed. 

so how many can fail and still go to space. seems we have demonstrated fail safe operation. 

Just now, Nuke said:

so how many can fail and still go to space. seems we have demonstrated fail safe operation. 

People made a lot of calculations about that stuff from time to time and SpaceX themselves provided some numbers at some point as development progressed. Of course, the earlier it happens the least of margins there are, but I'd have to search for a bit to find the hard data

One last view of the SF for today: