SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

https://www.supercluster.com/editorial/the-man-who-wrangles-the-workhorse-falcon-9

It did, and aside from the cost savings of reusing rockets—once considered a one-and-done technology—Edwards said it has given SpaceX a tremendous reliability advantage over its competitors. The majority of work the Falcon team does between flights does not involve actually changing anything, but rather, inspecting the hardware that just flew. 

“We're trying to learn what we can,” he said. “That's one of the things about recover-and-reuse that's often overlooked: it's an incredible advantage in terms of reliability to get your hardware back and be able to look at it and learn stuff you didn't know or expect. I'm convinced that companies that don't recover their rockets have issues they don't know about that someday will bite them.”

Hubble was deployed at ~80km higher than it is now, and currently Hubble is below the 550 km Starlink shell vs being above it as it was at the original orbit.

Boosting it might make Starlink interference less likely.

(assuming they boost it back up to 615km)

Edited by tater

FqQAL6maAAAC1_a?format=jpg&name=4096x409

So Zack Golden, eta l did their Youtube show today, and I watched some of it (skipped around). This armor to the pad is moving quickly (the above image is a couple days old), but they are thinking late March is more likely. They threw out the 27th, a week after the Monday I was gonna try to be down there (for a non-random reason ;) ). Gonna have to watch and see.

2 hours ago, tater said:

FqQAL6maAAAC1_a?format=jpg&name=4096x409

So Zack Golden, eta l did their Youtube show today, and I watched some of it (skipped around). This armor to the pad is moving quickly (the above image is a couple days old), but they are thinking late March is more likely. They threw out the 27th, a week after the Monday I was gonna try to be down there (for a non-random reason ;) ). Gonna have to watch and see.

Aw I was hoping for the 23rd, that's my birthday