SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

Again I'm wondering about the green flame coming from MVAC.  Not a big deal as it is expendable, but it does look like they are intentionally pushing it.  But my limited knowledge is that the green would only appear if the copper in the iconel were burning off and that may be a bad assumption.  Maybe my screen colors are off

17 minutes ago, darthgently said:

Again I'm wondering about the green flame coming from MVAC.  Not a big deal as it is expendable, but it does look like they are intentionally pushing it.  But my limited knowledge is that the green would only appear if the copper in the iconel were burning off and that may be a bad assumption.  Maybe my screen colors are off

The Mvac expansion nozzle is Niobium alloy, and an Nb flame test is green/blue, so perhaps it's from that?

58 minutes ago, darthgently said:

Is it at ignition or later? At ignition it’s TEA-TEB. 

24 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Is it at ignition or later? At ignition it’s TEA-TEB. 

I looked at the replay of yesterday's launch above, and there is maybe a green tinge to the whole burn?

hard to tell without some color checking on the camera

53 minutes ago, tater said:

I looked at the replay of yesterday's launch above, and there is maybe a green tinge to the whole burn?

hard to tell without some color checking on the camera

Yes, entire burn.  Could be camera, intermediate processing, or some monitors, or real

If it is real, and having characterized how long the engine can be reliable under those conditions they decided just to roll with it on an expended stage, then good play in my view.  If it ain't broke enough, no hurry to fix.  Use up all the current stock first

Edited by darthgently

4 hours ago, Minmus Taster said:

The common joke that "Fusion is always 20 years away" applies well to Starship; "Starships launch is always a month away".

And yet, the milestones are met.  Eventually.  And even late, are still impressive.  Whodathunk the number of successful F9 landings would be at the current number at this point back when protos were going RUD?  Who would have predicted the huge workhorses cargo and crew Dragon would become back when it was covering a test pad with unplanned inflagration?  Or OneWeb launching on F9?  Or Tesla manufacturing and sales completely obliterating even modest negative predictions back when the first batch rolled out?

Boca Chica at its current rate of progress blows my mind.  

While Musk's timeline predictions are a crazy joke, I have to wonder about the method to the madness.  He clearly knows more than I on how to motivate his teams.  Maybe it is as simple as short circuiting procrastination by making the goal ridiculously soon

Edited by darthgently