SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

2 hours ago, IncongruousGoat said:

Care to elaborate?

I made that comment with the show open in another window, but I also remembered him from last season of the (dumb) Mars show. He says things that are either self-evidently true, or often wrong. When I posted that, he had just said something flat out wrong, and I remember last year/season he said for example that SpaceX had the best launch record (something clearly nonsense). You can say that they are good, without being superlative.

I'd have to re-watch to remember what POed me.

I am scanning the show to find what bugged me. One, he says that the Saturn V was grossly overbuilt to go to the Moon, that it was designed to go to Mars (utter nonsense). He's a reporter, he'd have done something else if he could do math, presumably.

He says SpaceX is located "in the middle of nowhere." He was referring to Hawthorne. In the middle of LA. Obviously he's never been to New Mexico, Hawthorne is less "the middle of nowhere" than downtown Albuquerque.

Edited by tater

14 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

*squeals in happiness*

I can't wait to see THAT coming in. two separate landing attempts, of two different stages?? SpaceX may want to make landings boring, but they're doing a bad job of it.

I think he's talking about the BFS upper stages they'll be using for hop tests in H2 2019. It doesn't make sense to try and recover F9 second stages.

14 minutes ago, IncongruousGoat said:

I think he's talking about the BFS upper stages they'll be using for hop tests in H2 2019. It doesn't make sense to try and recover F9 second stages.

I assume he's talking about this: https://spacenews.com/spacex-to-modify-falcon-9-upper-stage-to-test-bfr-technologies/

The whole point to doing a test like that will be to learn about re-entry of the payload. The article says they won't be used to test landings, but that's not the same thing as "recovery".

Edited by mikegarrison

32 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

*squeals in happiness*

I can't wait to see THAT coming in. two separate landing attempts, of two different stages?? SpaceX may want to make landings boring, but they're doing a bad job of it.

Recovered != retropropulsive landing. It will probably just land with parachutes: