SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

oh man, I could feel the wobble of the first stage from my ksp "landings":D

Just now, Delay said:

Now I'm interested. Why did the landing burn not start / falcon "land" in the water? 

I think the stage 1 decided it couldn't make it safely to land and went into water for safety of ground builds

2 minutes ago, Delay said:

Now I'm interested. Why did the landing burn not start / falcon "land" in the water?

The baseline trajectory is set such that it then has to fly to land, the default is in the water as I understand it, so if there is a failure (like today) it hits water.

4 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

A piece flew off of the booster during coast before entry burn. I saw it float back and clip a grid fin.

This is not good for Elon's insistence that powered landings are sustainable for human flight.

That's a bit dire from a single, as yet un-diagnosed issue. :huh: They mentioned in the feed, that was just ice coming off, nothing that hasn't happened before.

Well this was certainly more interesting that I would have hoped for. Hopefully it was just that hydraulic thing and not anything else, and hopefully it's an easy fix that won't lead to grounding. From what we can tell, it definitely doesn't sound like a major problem, especially if the booster managed to land.

Holy Jeb!

It looks like the gridfins corrected the right way, then stopped moving while hard over. The it started spinning in the other direction. I wonder if it ran out of nitrogen as well.

Pretty crazy how well it landed even while spinning, I wonder if that's a potential way to maintain stability while landing.

10 minutes ago, Nightfury said:

bWexsOi.png

The ring

I wonder if that is actually ice.

It appeared from the video that the grid fin on the left (in the video shown) stalled in a tilted position, causing a roll and yaw preference. The other grid fins worked to try and counteract it but were unable to do so.

12 minutes ago, tater said:

He is overly optimistic.

Then again, it WOULD have landed safely, had it come down on the pad. Maybe a touch hard, but it would have managed. So that's encouraging.

2 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Hopefully it was just that hydraulic thing and not anything else, and hopefully it's an easy fix that won't lead to grounding

And it looked like the problem was only regarding landing phase, so it may be not even a problem for normal launches

Edited by Nightfury