Skylon

SpaceX Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, zolotiyeruki said:

How long until we get a Marvel movie with Captain American surfing down from orbit on his shield?

Well, we know what vibranium does to bullets fired by scorned lovers who look one of the girls from my postgrad group. But what does it do to hypersonic air? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Nightside said:

Does crapping your pants count as regenerative cooling in this case?

It is certainly an...unorthodox method.

I have a hunch that it would help more with the foam production, though.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DDE said:

Well, we know what vibranium does to bullets fired by scorned lovers who look one of the girls from my postgrad group. But what does it do to hypersonic air? 

Vibranium only absorbs kinetic energy, not thermal energy, right?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Vibranium only absorbs kinetic energy, not thermal energy, right?

It's kinetic once you ho down to the molecular level. Bit of an "Aquaman can't control whales" issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sooooo....

at what point does a Tesla actually become topical in this thread? :D

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Sooooo....

at what point does a Tesla actually become topical in this thread? :D

 

Feb. 6, 2018.

But yeah, he's mentioned this idea before briefly. It's insane, but... what else would you expect?

7 hours ago, SuperFastJellyfish said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOOSE

Operation_MOOSE_(figure_110).PNG

Essentially, a foam-filled bag and a deorbit motor.

Wait, since the BFR has no abort system... could a modernized version of this actually make sense for it?  I don't know if there's enough space for a bunch of these, but maybe.Perhaps it could, I don't know, double as a bed somehow and jettison out the window?

Edited by ThatGuyWithALongUsername
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

But yeah, he's mentioned this idea before briefly. It's insane, but... what else would you expect?

Well, until last month building a rocket apparently out of tinfoil in a field in Texas sounded like a completely ridiculous idea, so... :/

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

Wait, since the BFR has no abort system... could a modernized version of this actually make sense for it?

Anything’s better than the complete lack of backups the BFR suffers from compared with every other architecture.

Yes, I’m still insisting that the BFR is a deathtrap should almost anything go wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

This just in: No, Super Heavy won't still be CF. It's stainless too.

 

Could easily be a stainless tube full of CF fuel tanks though? 

 

all that tweet confirms is it’s all going to be shiny 

Edited by Jaff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But why would they do that? Stainless is more than capable of containing LOX and LPG, why add mass to the rocket with seperate fuel tanks? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see them wrapping steel around CFC tanks. Defeats the purpose.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DDE said:

Anything’s better than the complete lack of backups the BFR suffers from compared with every other architecture.

Yes, I’m still insisting that the BFR is a deathtrap should almost anything go wrong.

It has plenty of redundancy in the engines, the unmanned version will also be used a lot before we get an manned mission. Takeoff would be safer than the shuttle. 
Reeentry, not sure how they even manage this without heat shield, Wonder if they use some? they can still operate pretty hot but its strong limits. They will also use this for return from Moon or Mars. 
Landing: you have engine redundancy but lots of other stuff can also go bad. 

MOOSE was designed for escape from orbit. This is the least relevant place as I think they just launch an new startship dock and transfer. 

Now my thought was having an escape pod on top. Something like the new Shepard pod but larger because the larger crew. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

It has plenty of redundancy in the engines, the unmanned version will also be used a lot before we get an manned mission. 

How would it save the passengers from ULA sniper though?

 

(that question was only half sarcastic)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

How would it save the passengers from ULA sniper though?

 

(that question was only half sarcastic)

By not having COPVs.  Shooting regular tanks simply causes fuel to slowly leak out and boil off, nothing catastrophic.  They intentionally did this to safe vehicles in the past.  If you are talking about sniping passengers themselves, not sure anything reasonable can be done, for any vehicle.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ment18 said:

By not having COPVs.  Shooting regular tanks simply causes fuel to slowly leak out and boil off, nothing catastrophic.  They intentionally did this to safe vehicles in the past.  If you are talking about sniping passengers themselves, not sure anything reasonable can be done, for any vehicle.

The actual ULA Sniper will just get more boolit.

cr3f4227-1.jpg?nocache=292422

And yes, the space jarheads over at Novosti Kosmonavtiki forums do consider the BFR a purely military asset that needs to be very aggressively countered.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From Spaceflightnow:

Quote
Jan. 11Falcon 9 • Iridium Next 66-75
Launch time: 1531 GMT (10:31 a.m. EST; 7:31 a.m. PST)
Launch site: SLC-4E, Vandenberg Air Force Base, California

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DDE said:

And yes, the space jarheads over at Novosti Kosmonavtiki forums do consider the BFR a purely military asset that needs to be very aggressively countered.

A military asset that got literally zero dollars of government or military funding, lol. AFAIK, only Raptor got some funding from the Air Force, but that had been way before BFR concept was even announced, in the form of ITS, which wasn’t going to go anywhere but Mars. Falcon and Dragon are closer to being military assets than BFR. Unless they find oil on Mars, that is... 

Edited by sh1pman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fear not! As soon as BFR Starship proves itself to be reliable, safe and useful, Army and Air Force will be all over it like ants over picnic basket.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Scotius said:

Fear not! As soon as BFR Starship proves itself to be reliable, safe and useful, Army and Air Force will be all over it like ants over picnic basket.

An reliable BFR with fast turnover would have significant military capabilities. Rods from god in any orbit you want with the layout you want up to an +70 ton long rod perpetrator. 
yes drop more than any heavy bomber and at orbital velocity. 
However its an private company and then military prefer to do their own things. 
On the other hand in the case of an war the enemy might hit the launchpads and staging areas with some sub launched cruise missiles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For tomorrow morning.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now