SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

25 minutes ago, Scotius said:

If there will be no delays

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

25 minutes ago, Scotius said:

almost everyone will be able to watch it

Academic Decathlon, nooope

Although, we are inside a month now, I think that may be a first, so I think it will happen in 2 months-ish. It would be cool if it happened on my birthday, March 29, but not cool if it gets delayed that far.

2 hours ago, tater said:

So... they’ve test fit the arm, but I wonder if anyone’s deployed the skirt, opened the hatch, and actually gotten in the darn thing yet...

2 hours ago, tater said:

Also:

All of that sensitive plumbing being slapped on, uncovered, out in a field. This will never cease to amaze me. :D

My also:

News to me, I thought they were planning less fewer launches this year. :/ Gonna have to be one L uva game of catch up, seeing as how they’ll only be three in at the third month of the year...

28 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

News to me, I thought they were planning less fewer launches this year. :/ Gonna have to be one L uva game of catch up, seeing as how they’ll only be three in at the third month of the year...

I checked spaceflightnow, and there are 12 launches penciled in for this year so far. That means they need 10 more, and in as many months. I presume they might add a couple Starlink launches later in the year, maybe they mean to add something like 10 of them.

4 minutes ago, tater said:

I checked spaceflightnow, and there are 12 launches penciled in for this year so far. That means they need 10 more, and in as many months. I presume they might add a couple Starlink launches later in the year, maybe they mean to add something like 10 of them.

:wacko:

I would really like to see that...

43 minutes ago, tater said:

I think an orbital flight (which it would have to be to count) is extremely unlikely. I think maybe they'd count a suborbital flight of just Starship, though (Blue certainly counts those ;) ).

Elon says the first prototype will be ready by June. So I am hoping for December.

24 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

Elon says the first prototype will be ready by June. So I am hoping for December.

That's Starship, not the booster. The question is can it do SSTO, and would they progress that far in just a few months.

5 hours ago, sh1pman said:

Another test?

Holy crap. Guys guys guys.

257 bar.

257 bar.

The RD-181 pulls 262.6 bar.

The RD-171M pulls 250 bar.

The RS-25 pulls 206.4 bar.

This particular Raptor has achieved the second-highest chamber pressure of ANY rocket engine EVER. It is 2.2% away from being the highest-chamber-pressure engine of all time.

Ahem.

If the Starhopper design requires 170 metric tonnes (not tons, Elon!) and they have three engines, then the expected GLOW of Starhopper is 510 tonnes. On Jan 23, I predicted a propellant mass upper bound (based on pixel tracing) of 531 tonnes, so the assumptions were generous.

Suppose Starhopper dries at 75 tonnes (which is ridiculously conservative). That gives 435 tonnes of props. Let's put Isp at 310 seconds to be more conservative. A realistic estimate of dV is 5.8 km/s. Hot damn.

4 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Okay... for how long, though? Just a few seconds, or for a mission-representative burn?

Longer than a few seconds, shorter than a mission-representative burn.

3 hours ago, Xd the great said:

And how warm is warm propellant?

It gets very warm after a few moments.

1 hour ago, tater said:

The film cooling of the nozzle is visible (assuming that is the outside layer of exhaust we are seeing).

Does Raptor use film cooling, regenerative cooling, or both?

If not film cooling, that could be outlet flow separation due to the pressure differential. I suspect this nozzle is lip-optimized a la SSME.