SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

6 hours ago, tater said:

Typo of 1S for 15.

Internal communication appears to be done by passing around hand-written notes, it seems. That, and/or the person in question doesn't know quite how high they intend to send that silo flying. Then again, confusing "15 km" and "1 SKM" might be an easy mistake if you're used to Imperial measurements, which are all nonsense anyway. If somebody passed me a note saying the neighbours intended to build a shed a furlong wide and five chains deep, I'd assume it would be for holding a few potted plants and maybe a shovel if they could fit it in.

15 hours ago, cubinator said:

Better than the eternal "20 years away" threshold...

The old adage about schedule slips in spaceflight seems to hold true...

• If it is said to happen more than two years in the future, it might as well never happen.
  • If it's stated to happen between one half and two years in the future, add 50 % of the remaining time to the estimate. 
  • If it's stated to happen between one and six months in the future, it might as well slip two months ... at a time.
  • If it's stated to happen within one month, it might as well slip two weeks ... at a time.

21 hours ago, RCgothic said:

New thrust puck design:

Interesting, I tough the old design had lox header tank piping attached to the bottom of CH4 downcomer. 
Like this design, the downcomer is more of an structural element, much less chance of leaking methane into the LOX tank because of bending, you can put valves on the pipes to the vacuum engines. 
Why not just refuel methane from the bottom manifold? I assume its work in progress, for the orbital version the fuel lines would be on opposite sides anyway. 
That add some safety then refueling in orbit, if you have some minor leaks its much less chance of causing fires. 

Tim Dodd made an excellent and comprehensive video on Starship:

I know a lot of the people who frequent this thread don't like Tim as he doesn't have full engineering knowledge, but I like his presentation style and explanations. He's not trying to inform aerospace engineers, he's trying to inform laypeople, and that's perfectly fine. 

Edited by RealKerbal3x

2 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

I know a lot of the people who frequent this thread don't like Tim as he doesn't have full engineering knowledge, but I like his presentation style and explanations. He's not trying to inform aerospace engineers, he's trying to inform laypeople, and that's perfectly fine. 

I really like Tim, and that was a nice video.  Best part was the SLS joke.

15 hours ago, Geonovast said:

I really like Tim, and that was a nice video.  Best part was the SLS joke.

SpaceX actually made that joke when they went live for official coverage of the hopper. It's not on the vid posted on their youtube, though.