Jump to content

SpaceX Discussion Thread


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

Image

I think this might be the place to ask, but does anyone know where this image comes from? It looks like an ITS with three side boosters

Pretty sure that's from the Axel Springer awards event, when the award was given to Elon. It's not an actual design, just a stage prop designed by someone unfamiliar with rockets.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

Image

I think this might be the place to ask, but does anyone know where this image comes from? It looks like an ITS with three side boosters

Those *could* be side boosters, I guess. They kind of look more like a certain part of the male anatomy, though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

Those *could* be side boosters, I guess. They kind of look more like a certain part of the male anatomy, though.

Maybe their familiarity with rockets came from watching Blue Origin videos?

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Do they follow all buran.ru illustrations in their tests?

Some early NASA Shuttle concepts were actually similar to that from the late 60s and early 70s.

Spoiler

ss12_md6.jpg

1969^

sts70gd9.jpg

^1969

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Because I apparently have nothing better to do....

Its better than were most of my free time goes. You were providing a service to fellow space nerds and I thank you

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CastleKSide said:

Its better than were most of my free time goes. You were providing a service to fellow space nerds and I thank you

Exactly! Someone has got to make those hexagons fit! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

Because I apparently have nothing better to do....

There is huge benefit in a few tile shapes reused, but maybe a few "meta tiles" could be designed such that the remaining areas fill in with fewer gaps? Not going from 2 unique tiles to 2000, but from 2 to... 3, or 4, where the added non-hex tiles are shapes forms of the gap shapes, and could possibly even be curved, or slightly "bent" along a midline so the edges match better.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

That should help move crewed Starship development along.

And if they have a lunar capable Starship flying by then, I’m sure Elon will be quite happy with 300 million to put towards the Mars capable version.

Maybe he’ll accept it in Bitcoin. :rolleyes:

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, KSK said:

That should help move crewed Starship development along.

And if they have a lunar capable Starship flying by then, I’m sure Elon will be quite happy with 300 million to put towards the Mars capable version.

Maybe he’ll accept it in Bitcoin. :rolleyes:

Not all of the $300m is going to SpaceX, that's just how much it costs to NASA in total.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, okay. That’s not how I read it but it’s not worth arguing about. :) A nice chunk of change to SpaceX either way I’m sure!

Link to post
Share on other sites

For my own reference: Shuttle had ~24,300 unique tiles.

 

Regarding the landing legs... for Earth, who knows, but the lunar version could just as well copy the TWA Moonliner at Disneyland:

moonrocket_tall0000cl.jpg

No need for the slots, the rails can be on the surface. The stance could be quite large. they don't have to deploy moments before landing, they deploy slowly. Adjusting the position via the rail (worm gear?) allows self-leveling.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, tater said:

For my own reference: Shuttle had ~24,300 unique tiles.

 

Regarding the landing legs... for Earth, who knows, but the lunar version could just as well copy the TWA Moonliner at Disneyland:

moonrocket_tall0000cl.jpg

No need for the slots, the rails can be on the surface. The stance could be quite large. they don't have to deploy moments before landing, they deploy slowly. Adjusting the position via the rail (worm gear?) allows self-leveling.

My guess is that they invert the legs and go for an falcon 9 style system. Yes you would need hydraulic for the pistons for self leveling but that could double as dampeners. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, tater said:

For my own reference: Shuttle had ~24,300 unique tiles.

 

Regarding the landing legs... for Earth, who knows, but the lunar version could just as well copy the TWA Moonliner at Disneyland:

moonrocket_tall0000cl.jpg

No need for the slots, the rails can be on the surface. The stance could be quite large. they don't have to deploy moments before landing, they deploy slowly. Adjusting the position via the rail (worm gear?) allows self-leveling.

How would they achieve something like that without seams in the heat shield? It seems like they're really trying to avoid that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

How would they achieve something like that without seams in the heat shield? It seems like they're really trying to avoid that.

I said lunar SS. No heat shield on that one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, tater said:

There is huge benefit in a few tile shapes reused, but maybe a few "meta tiles" could be designed such that the remaining areas fill in with fewer gaps? Not going from 2 unique tiles to 2000, but from 2 to... 3, or 4, where the added non-hex tiles are shapes forms of the gap shapes, and could possibly even be curved, or slightly "bent" along a midline so the edges match better.

Yeah, I'm thinking 5-6 tiles. Large hex, medium hex, small hex, "keyhole"/"meta", and truncated versions of the large hex for edging. I don't think curvature is necessary for the keyhole tile, though.

3 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

How would they achieve something like that without seams in the heat shield? It seems like they're really trying to avoid that.

@tater was proposing this for the lunar Starship, which won't have a heat shield.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...