SpaceX Discussion Thread

13 minutes ago, JIMMY_the_DOG said:

not until they get to orbit, and need the heat protection

I figure they would want to try the landing maneuver at full mass. 

1 hour ago, JIMMY_the_DOG said:

That'd be SN15, I think. And isn't SN15 up next?

2 minutes ago, cubinator said:

That'd be SN15, I think. And isn't SN15 up next?

SN15 isn't getting a full heatshield. I'm thinking full heatshield and orbit around SN18-19.

8 minutes ago, JIMMY_the_DOG said:

uhm no..? wouldnt it be sn12 next?

They scrapped 12-14. Next is SN15.

24 minutes ago, JIMMY_the_DOG said:

uhm no..? wouldnt it be sn12 next?

As tater said, SN12, 13 and 14 were scrapped due to (as yet unknown) upgrades to SN15 and subsequent prototypes.

(Landings excepted) testing has gone pretty smoothly so far, so it wouldn't be worth delaying flight experience with SN15-type prototypes in order to get more flight experience with SN8-type ones. Totally worth the manufacturing practice though.

That right there is why I like Elon's SpaceX persona.  The general openness about problems and fessing up when he made what now seems to be the wrong call.

10 minutes ago, KSK said:

That right there is why I like Elon's SpaceX persona.  The general openness about problems and fessing up when he made what now seems to be the wrong call.

Yes, and on the other hand, hindsight is 20/20

So the question remains, how do/did they solve the pressure issue post SN10 in such a short time frame?

I would assume they still had autogenous pressurization, and then supplemented it with He? Maybe dump the He, and fix in terms of when, how much, and how long pressure is fed back to the headers?

I presume vestigial helium tanks are just a small mass penalty and they always planned to go back to autogenous pressurisation and so never removed the system.

4 hours ago, JIMMY_the_DOG said:

I seem to remember that they were planning on having a full heatshield for supersonic high altitude tests. I'm sure someone else knows for sure if I need to be corrected, but that's supposed to be the step right before orbit.

4 minutes ago, Brotoro said:

Clicking on that says Live in 34 hours, March 11, 4:10AM

Just saw that.

35 minutes ago, tater said:

Building a launch tower on Mars might be non-trivial ;) 

Just grapple hook the landing spaceship on the side of Olympus Mons. Delightfully counterintuitive!

Better legs don't cut into the 100+ ton payload that much, do they?

7 hours ago, RCgothic said:

As tater said, SN12, 13 and 14 were scrapped due to (as yet unknown) upgrades to SN15 and subsequent prototypes.

(Landings excepted) testing has gone pretty smoothly so far, so it wouldn't be worth delaying flight experience with SN15-type prototypes in order to get more flight experience with SN8-type ones. Totally worth the manufacturing practice though.

I mean I did say that the obvious fix was to use auxiliary gaseous methane tanks fed from the autogen press lines to supplement header tank pressure, used both for the header tank press and eventually for hot-gas thrusters.

If only he had listened.......

11 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

(also - if they're only on one side, doesn't that make landing a bit more... fraught?)

Don't you see, they have lots of Mystery Goo canisters to offset the weight on the other side.

Spoiler

ERYgK1CUUAA6enZ.jpg:large

15 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

how much more weight will SS have with all the tiles on it?

(also - if they're only on one side, doesn't that make landing a bit more... fraught?)

They can also make the tanks slightly smaller, so the curve doesn't match the wall entirely, and is off enough to offset the weight of the tiles.