SpaceX Discussion Thread

Isnt Dearmoon about creative inspirations of a moon flyby? It makes sense to vet participants according to their creative video ideas, giving them as little limitations as necessary...

41 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I got no such email, so it looks like I didn't get through, unless they aren't sending them out all at once. I'd imagine the video would be about introducing yourself and explaining why you would be a good candidate for the mission, but they definitely should have elaborated on that.

Very possible they are going out staggered.

I would just expect SOME sort of direction. Yuzaku says he wants artists and others who will create inspiration, right? So, what is the video supposed to highlight? "Tell us one thing in your life that excites you and why" or "Create a video that shows some of your past work" or "Tell us why this mission inspires you" or just "Introduce yourself and tell us what you do". Any of those would be great. But not having any direction means their submissions are going to be all over the place.

24 minutes ago, Elthy said:

Isnt Dearmoon about creative inspirations of a moon flyby? It makes sense to vet participants according to their creative video ideas, giving them as little limitations as necessary...

I think the distinction is between limitation and direction. If the goal is to vet and compare applicants then you need to arrive at a coherent vision. It doesn't make sense to compare one person who made a video about their past art with another person who made a video introducing themselves to another person who talked about their ideas for the flyby.

There shouldn't be any limitations on the output, but giving direction at this stage would just be common sense.

Gantry crane is *finally* installed!

Honestly expected it be installed last October. I wonder if this was the major hold up for Superheavy production, or if it just got downgraded to a lower priority relative to more starships?

Edited by RCgothic
40 minutes ago, RCgothic said:

Gantry crane is *finally* installed!

Honestly expected it be installed last October. I wonder if this was the major hold up for Superheavy production, or if it just got downgraded to a lower priority relative to more starships?

Perhaps they were waiting for it to be manufactured, assembled, and shipped, while hampered by COVID delays 

Playing around a little more with Starship legs.

load-path-again.png

Selling points:

• Legs are fully stowed within the skirt for launch
  • All vertical loads transfer through the current load paths
  • Full three-point self-leveling capability for each leg
  • Significant ground clearance
  • Wide stance
  • Tilt damping with good load path

The trick is to have U-shaped feet so that the diagonal member can extend through the gap while stowed and during deployment.

I am not asking for a delay, but if it does get delayed to Monday and goes off without a hitch that would be an amazing birthday present!

Loads of vids of that F9 Stage 2 reentering. Wonder what the deal is with their deorbit burns, this is I think the third one  that was not disposed of properly.

21 minutes ago, RCgothic said:

I believe that was also the case for SN10.

That might have been the original plan but as far as I can tell SN10 did its last static fire on 25 Feb and flew on 3 March.

1 hour ago, RealKerbal3x said:

That might have been the original plan but as far as I can tell SN10 did its last static fire on 25 Feb and flew on 3 March.

They aborted a flight just after ignition on March 3 (then turned around and flew that same day!) so that probably counts as a static fire. ‘Twas static and the engines fired.

2 hours ago, RyanRising said:

They aborted a flight just after ignition on March 3 (then turned around and flew that same day!) so that probably counts as a static fire. ‘Twas static and the engines fired.

That's probably what I was thinking of. Thanks!

9 hours ago, tater said:

Loads of vids of that F9 Stage 2 reentering. Wonder what the deal is with their deorbit burns, this is I think the third one  that was not disposed of properly.

I mean, that's always what it looks like, right? Usually it just does that over the Indian Ocean or something.

47 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

I mean, that's always what it looks like, right? Usually it just does that over the Indian Ocean or something.

Yeah, reentry over land has got to be off nominal. There's usually a hazard warning in the S Pacific.

6 minutes ago, tater said:

Yeah, reentry over land has got to be off nominal. There's usually a hazard warning in the S Pacific.

I wonder if a normal, planned re-entry is steeper and thus looks different.....

21 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

I wonder if a normal, planned re-entry is steeper and thus looks different.....

You'd think these days there would be sailing cruisers in the SoPac, and they have internet and phones like the rest of us, lol.

Spoiler

^^^ESA ATV being disposed of SoPac.

Edited by tater