SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

E0HOAYuWUAIrWb3?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Apollo monument, with a tweet by the photog:

"A #SpaceX #Falcon9 launches yet another batch of Starlink satellites as seen at the Apollo Program Monument in

RIP Michael Collins "

3 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

NGL I always get chills when the signal drops right before the touchdown

After watching that terrible Vega launch, SpaceX stream is a joy. It's 2021, all rockets need rocket cameras!

E0HPJyUX0AEUhBO?format=jpg&name=4096x409

29 minutes ago, zolotiyeruki said:

I didn't see anything there about the duration of the first stage burn, only that SpaceX are basically going to keep reusing boosters until they break.

Yeah. Normal 1st stage burn is until 2:39 or so, right?

29 minutes ago, zolotiyeruki said:

I didn't see anything there about the duration of the first stage burn, only that SpaceX are basically going to keep reusing boosters until they break.

That's how I read it, too.

2 minutes ago, SOXBLOX said:

That's how I read it, too.

Me, too.

I checked a starlink launch in March and MECO was 2:38. Last night they had the internal cam on and called MECO at 2:38 as well.

5 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

I wonder if these launch licenses allow them to go any higher? Unless they find a new major issue, I don't see them needing two more 10km flights after SN15.

Didn't they authorize 'up to space' in the FAA closure - or is that something else entirely? 

7 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Didn't they authorize 'up to space' in the FAA closure - or is that something else entirely? 

That's just the temporary flight restriction - the area where aircraft aren't allowed lest they endanger the launch. 

The launch license is a different thing and actually represents formal permission to launch from the FAA. Thus far the licenses have only allowed a maximum apogee of 12.5km.

12 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

That's just the temporary flight restriction - the area where aircraft aren't allowed lest they endanger the launch. 

The launch license is a different thing and actually represents formal permission to launch from the FAA. Thus far the licenses have only allowed a maximum apogee of 12.5km.

Question, since the license allows 12500m altitude for now, what happens if a prototype exceeds that by 1m?