SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

Seen some speculation on r/spaceX that a second high/midbay may be about to begin construction, based on RGV aerial flyover and concrete slab production.

Would make sense, the current high bay is pretty congested.

A large discussion regarding space habitats and manufacturing in space has been split off to here:

I know all this sort of stuff is loosely tied back to SpaceX, but can we keep the discussion here focused specifically to SpaceX, please?

Thank you.

33 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Also: I assume the structure on the right is where they intend to launch the BFR, ahem, BN?

That's the integration tower. The very endge of the pad is visible to the right.

For anyone else trying to figure out what an 'Integration Tower' is: SpaceX's Starship Booster Tower Is Rising in Texas | IE (interestingengineering.com)

Building a sky-scraper sized dynamic structure at sea-level in the sand where high winds are the norm and hurricanes visit whenever they want... SX is nothing if not bold.

6 minutes ago, tater said:

That's the integration tower. The very endge of the pad is visible to the right.

But they are planning to launch from that are they not?  With all the grating and the hole in the center - it looks to me like their launch platform they use for Starship.

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

4 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

But they are planning to launch from that are they not?  With all the grating and the hole in the center - it looks to me like their launch platform they use for Starship.

That tower will be made much taller, and the rocket will stand next to it for launch.

21 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

NSF-2021-05-16-19-28-29-341.jpg

The actual launch mount they'll use to launch Starship-Superheavy is the six-legged structure at far right (it's not complete yet). The structure just left of it is the launch/integration tower, which will eventually be much taller and feature an integrated crane for stacking the stages.

24 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

E1ghXGgXEAMcl6P?format=jpg&name=4096x409

The pad will sit on top of the angled 6 cylinders.

2 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Why are the sections painted differently?

Same reason you sometimes see cars with a fender that's a different color from the car. The part that was available was already painted a different color, and they used it anyway.

4 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

Same reason you sometimes see cars with a fender that's a different color from the car. The part that was available was already painted a different color, and they used it anyway.

You ever played with Lego :) 

#SpaceX Boca Chica Starbase 
The launch table columns have been filled with concrete over the last few days/hours
The mighty sixteen threaded rods are now deeply anchored in the concrete of the columns
Unfortunately, our puzzle will soon come to an end

A vacuum launchpipe?

Looking at the difference between SNs 5&6 and 8-15, the forward cone sections look empty.  Otherwise, the 'work part' of the completed craft looks to be the 5/6 lower portion of the ship. Is there anything in the forward section?

I assume that when SX flies / flew the current design they're pressurizing the forward section.  Are they simply using atmospheric air - or is it also used for fuel?  (because IIRC, the forward section is supposed to be for crew /cargo) 

4 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Looking at the difference between SNs 5&6 and 8-15, the forward cone sections look empty.  Otherwise, the 'work part' of the completed craft looks to be the 5/6 lower portion of the ship. Is there anything in the forward section?

I assume that when SX flies / flew the current design they're pressurizing the forward section.  Are they simply using atmospheric air - or is it also used for fuel?  (because IIRC, the forward section is supposed to be for crew /cargo) 

As far as I know the forward section is empty. I don't know if they pressurise the forward section (I'd be inclined to think they don't), but it's not filled with propellant.

53 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

As far as I know the forward section is empty. I don't know if they pressurise the forward section (I'd be inclined to think they don't), but it's not filled with propellant.

Forward section will be the cargo bay and its empty for the test flights.  It will have an huge door for the later cargo versions making it very hard to pressurize. 
The crewed version will have an internal pressure hull. They but the lox header tank at the front to move center of mass forward for landing.