SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

2 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

By the way, more news on booster 3 and 4:

It's not about flying some booster ASAP, it's about being able to make boosters efficiently. We see this again and again.

I know Musk gave away a lot of Tesla tech... but what about SX stuff?  With all the copy-cat reusable 1st Stage drawings I see that are -ahem- derivative I'm wondering if he can make some money licensing.  Well to Western countries at least.  One copy-cat does not feel the need to pay for 'their' mil-tech.

6 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

I know Musk gave away a lot of Tesla tech... but what about SX stuff?  With all the copy-cat reusable 1st Stage drawings I see that are -ahem- derivative I'm wondering if he can make some money licensing.  Well to Western countries at least.  One copy-cat does not feel the need to pay for 'their' mil-tech.

There are probably laws preventing it (a crafty lawyer could even accuse it of violating missile technology control agreements) and national pride reasons people may not want to accept it.

I don't think there is a good point of doing that though. SpaceX already launches spacecraft for other countries. It would be a burden for them to build it themselves. And of course, he will still make money launching their spacecraft for them.

If restrictions were super relaxed though, it would be cool if SpaceX could help "run" space programs for other countries. With no need to develop a crewed spacecraft (just buy Crew and Cargo Dragon flights), it would become much more feasible for other countries to build their own space station. SpaceX, assuming it has its own astronauts for Starship flights in the future, could even assist with astronaut training.

Also I think this is the best look we've ever had of the bridge crane. Doesn't seem to span to the wings of the bay. In line with the door only. Interesting.

Edited by RCgothic

43 minutes ago, zolotiyeruki said:

I suppose that shouldn't be a surprise.  It doesn't need to get all the way into the corners.  It only needs to get within 4.5 meters of each side.

That's a great explanation!

Section 7 is in stack up:

10 minutes ago, cubinator said:

Ooh, I know this one! The answer is MOAR boosters.

I fear that authorities of local primate civilization may have problems with moar boosters to superheavy. Solid boosters are obsolete but 7 superheavies with asparagus staging would be nice next step, before hexagon of 19 stages.

But I think that correct answer is "you began on too large planet with a species interested in too mundane things".

4 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

A starship heavy would be ridiculous. 
The idea proposed there is just bad. 

Not bad, Musk said before that they plan to make an 18m Starship in the future.

7 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

Not bad, Musk said before that they plan to make an 18m Starship in the future.

He seems to be saying that larger might not be better, however.

The logistics of an even larger vehicle as initially proposed for BFR/ITS would be insane. There's something to be said for the squat designs of the 60s (Boeing LEO, and the various Phil Bono designs like ROMBUS).