SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

21 minutes ago, GuessingEveryDay said:

Wait, isn't Starship planning to have 33 engines on Superheavy? So 33+9 would be 42!

1*oA63oJ2qoBYiIQ4Wzy8YKw.png

Going to nine Raptors instead of just six would also nearly solve the pad abort problem. That’s a T/W ratio of 1.4 instead of barely 1.

It could also make single-stage ballistic hops feasible. 

1 minute ago, sevenperforce said:

Going to nine Raptors instead of just six would also nearly solve the pad abort problem. That’s a T/W ratio of 1.4 instead of barely 1.

It could also make single-stage ballistic hops feasible. 

Note that vacuum raptors, while cunningly designed to not explode at sea level, are going to lose some thrust to over expansion. So it's probably slightly less than that.

17 minutes ago, Minmus Taster said:

That's a Hitchhiker reference right? Iv never read it.

^shocked^

You need to go back to when you were 14, slap your face, and then make your 14 year old self read the damn books.  IDK how you can function in modern society without such a fundamental reading experience in your background. 

(FYI - trying to start the series at any age other than 14 is difficult) 

3 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

^shocked^

You need to go back to when you were 14, slap your face, and then make your 14 year old self read the damn books.  IDK how you can function in modern society without such a fundamental reading experience in your background. 

(FYI - trying to start the series at any age other than 14 is difficult) 

Il do you one better and read them right now in the present!

3 minutes ago, Minmus Taster said:

It's really only the first book that's mandatory. I re-read the entire series last year, and while the first book is as iconic as they come, it all ... uhh, loses the thread a bit from the second one out. Most of the quotable, memorable, and thought-provoking stuff is in the first book, while nobody remembers what goes on in the third or fourth.

3 hours ago, Codraroll said:

It's really only the first book that's mandatory. I re-read the entire series last year, and while the first book is as iconic as they come, it all ... uhh, loses the thread a bit from the second one out. Most of the quotable, memorable, and thought-provoking stuff is in the first book, while nobody remembers what goes on in the third or fourth.

Apparently so, because there are actually five of them. I actually liked Mostly Harmless a lot. That's the fourth book, IIRC.

6 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

Apparently so, because there are actually five of them. I actually liked Mostly Harmless a lot. That's the fourth book, IIRC.

LOL at myself, because there are six books (the sixth one written by someone else after Adams died), and Mostly Harmless is the fifth book. And the one I was thinking of that I liked? That was the fourth book, So Long, and Thanks For All The Fish. (I liked the character Fenchurch, Arthur's gf in So Long.)

Edited by mikegarrison

4 hours ago, Minmus Taster said:

Ok - but don't say that I did not warn you. 

You must indulge your inner 14 y.o.  If you approach these with the cynicism of later adulthood... Something fails in the translation. 

A healthy appreciation for the noxiousness of the '70s is also beneficial 

1 hour ago, RCgothic said:

Yikes

I'm guessing that the launch tower will lose it's record as the tallest structure in South Texas to the soon-to-be-built lightning towers...

5 minutes ago, Silavite said:

I'm guessing that the launch tower will lose it's record as the tallest structure in South Texas to the soon-to-be-built lightning towers...

The launch tower itself is meant to have a lightning rod on top. As long as it remains the tallest structure in the area, lightning probably shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by RealKerbal3x

1 hour ago, Silavite said:

Nah, that's how SpaceX incentivises staff.  The worst performer gets to stand on top and wave the flag on the end of a copper tube .

2 hours ago, pandaman said:

Nah, that's how SpaceX incentivises staff.  The worst performer gets to stand on top and wave the flag on the end of a copper tube .

Someone has been playing too much KSP