SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

38 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

More reason to use a more stable trasport like the planes.

Let's just say that there's a big reason the USAF Transport Command is interested in rocket flights smaller than a C5 Galaxy.

45 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

More reason to use a more stable trasport like the planes.

Unability to fly in bad weather is not a bad problem in current of foreseeable applications of space flight. Payloads which need to be launched at exact time are very exceptional. Most projects take years or even decades and delays of months or years are tolerable (and actually very common).

That point to point passenger flight is such application but it does not seem to be very realistic idea at all. At least in next couple of decades. There is not only technical problems but legal and bureaucratic issues too which may be much more worse, if international aviation regulations must be changed.

12 minutes ago, Hannu2 said:

Unability to fly in bad weather is not a bad problem in current of foreseeable applications of space flight.

?!

Let's count the space flight delays due to bad weather.

If the planes were delayed as often, there would be no passenger planes.

Edited by kerbiloid

Did Elon Musk ever mention P2P again since the virus greatly reduced international travel? If P2P was just a publicity stunt where noone realy knew if it would work out he may use the current crisis as an easy excuse to stop working on it.

5 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

?!

Let's count the space flight delays due to bad weather.

If the planes were delayed as often, there would be no passenger planes.

I counted cancelled or failed space missions due to bad weather delays. Travelers have commonly very limited periods they must fly for various reasons but space projects can adapt to delays for many reasons. Launch windows are usually weeks long and very many Mars projects have succeeded in spite of delay of 26 months to next window.

P2P is a long pole and would not even be seriously pushed until this thing has flown a gazillion times with no failures. Shotwell seems to think it's a thing, but I put it way out there in terms of plausibility. Weather is a trivial problem to solve compared to the regulatory issues, honestly.

Edited by tater

I suppose the rationale is something along these lines.

Spoiler

5jhwld.jpg

Seriously though, this means that the booster will need to be caught and locked in place on the pad quickly enough such that mechzilla is free to catch Starship. You also need to put notches for holding SS somewhere that won't get destroyed by reentry heating.

1 hour ago, RCgothic said:

@sevenperforce - that 'cage' thing (the frame that moves up and down) is kind of what I thought would happen - except they've got it all pinned to one corner.  I would think they'd want more flexibility.

So why pin to a corner and not build something around that lifting part that can rotate around the cage/frame - and give them access to all 4 sides of the tower?

@Beccab - someone at NASA got a phonecall from someone else's favorite Senator.

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

1 hour ago, Silavite said:

I suppose the rationale is something along these lines.

Reveal hidden contents

5jhwld.jpg

Seriously though, this means that the booster will need to be caught and locked in place on the pad quickly enough such that mechzilla is free to catch Starship. You also need to put notches for holding SS somewhere that won't get destroyed by reentry heating.

My guess is something like an bar who who comes down from the back of fin a lots like flaps on planes. 

However I find it even more wild if they move straight to this, for one because of the flip who adds inaccuracy you need to compensate for, way more if they get problems. 
And even if they manages to do this and does not even need an inspection of SS, they will anyway need to add new payload.
SS also has abort modes, in fact more than the shuttle who is nice then you launching an billion dollar satellite. 
But this might not let you use the the hook as superheavy is using it nor landing other places.

Yes it would be nice for tankers once all is up an running smoothly, but because of inclination tanker usually have to wait to launch and land so you might want multiple in orbit anyway.  

1 hour ago, cubinator said:

Interesting that they've not yet fully tiled the ship. I wonder when they will do that, or if they're still working on making it resistant enough in those high intensity spots.

Think its places needing special tiles because curvature, then might try it on the test stand a bit more as the mounting test broke plenty of tiles. 

Given that accidents and failures are not and "if", but a "when", that Mechazilla setup looks like a great way to lose a substantial amount of hardware and infrastructure.

Maybe building a backup tower onsite is cheaper than a crawler/crane, but that thing is going to make Hindenburg look cute someday.