SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

5 minutes ago, tater said:

I assume that part of the reason to go with netflix was as part of the fundraiser. The trade is also the "scoop" coverage in return for whatever netflix pays for content. Netflix makes money via subscription, and their expenses are bandwidth, and whatever they pay for content. They paid for this content.

I imagine that this is the most likely reason. This is a private flight, and there is no expectation of public domain like there is for NASA flights. Netflix is sure to have a contract with the participants for a media embargo on most of the footage filmed and a licensing right to broadcast it first.

Edited by HvP

Slight reminder that the next SpaceX mission we have a date for is a Falcon Heavy launch - NET Oct 9th. USSF-44, double drone ship landing.

That one's crept up!

May be a Starlink launch first from Vandenberg and/or The Cape, but not seeing anything definitively scheduled.

Edited by RCgothic

5 minutes ago, Minmus Taster said:

Does this mean S16...is finally gonna do something :valawe:

I doubt it, considering the significant changes they're planning I'm not sure it'll be that useful for data anymore.

They might use those suborbital flights to test catching the vehicles with the tower, though.

XUwbUXA.png
Official final look of the integration tower! (already a little outdated lol, the QD arm was evidently added after this was made) aaaand:

Future, final look of Starbase!
TczAVcK.png

As for the EA, it appears it is a gold mine of information. A couple extracts from the people of r/spacex (I'll edit in more as they come out):

- SpaceX estimating that they will do 10 tank tests a month with a failure rate of 10%. They must have an insane amount of confidence in their build techniques to have such a low rate of failure estimate.

- There will be more suborbital flights! Up to 20 per year with it reducing the 5 per year when the program is a mature.

- Estimated 500 hours for normal operational closures. If approved - it'll increase SpaceX' allowable closure hours by 200 hours.

- Oil rigs will stay at least 19 miles offshore

- SpaceX is proposing to conduct up to five Starship/Super Heavy orbital launches annually. Starship/Super Heavy missions would include Lunar and Mars missions, satellite payload missions, and the possibility of future human flight to the moon and Mars.

- From the Boca Chica Launch Site, orbital launches would primarily be to low inclinations with flight trajectories north or south of Cuba that minimize land overflight. Future launches from the site may be to higher, 70-degree inclination with limited overflight of remotely populated portions of Mexico.

- SpaceX is still determining whether a diverter would be used under the launch mount. A diverter is a metal structure placed on the launch pad underneath the rocket to divert the rocket plume laterally away from the ground. SpaceX is also still considering whether deluge water would discharge on the plume during a launch or test. If water were used, most of the water would be vaporized

VERY IMPORTANT: no category expects significant impact, which makes a full EIS unlikely!

And finally this, which was reported to have been changed since the EA was filed and is no longer planned:

- As SpaceX develops its landing capabilities downrange, SpaceX may plan to land the Starship on islands in the Pacific Ocean

Some insiders are also reporting this came out earlier than they were expecting, which makes a December flight possible. Current schedule is 30 days of public comments, 2 weeks of comments processing and no later than (hopefully earlier than) 6 weeks for the official release

Edited by Beccab