SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

39 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Way too much stuff on top for me to think a rocket is landing on it anytime soon... 

I think they just have an outline for what they want to build on it, but they're waiting for whatever happens at Boca Chica to see what should be on it. They might need to get rid of chopsticks, a bigger fuel farm--there's a lot of unknowns that SpaceX is still figuring out. So they're focusing on Boca Chica, finding what works, and then copy+pasting to the other launch sites.

1 minute ago, GuessingEveryDay said:

I think they just have an outline for what they want to build on it, but they're waiting for whatever happens at Boca Chica to see what should be on it. They might need to get rid of chopsticks, a bigger fuel farm--there's a lot of unknowns that SpaceX is still figuring out. So they're focusing on Boca Chica, finding what works, and then copy+pasting to the other launch sites.

Sounds about right!

4 minutes ago, GuessingEveryDay said:

Man - I should have thought about all that; thanks for the reminder!

(Dunno why, but I expected a bare platform kinda like their current Drone ships)

I think this means that the operational award of $2.6B is being increased by $900m ($300m per) to $3.5B for 3 extra flights.

The total of all awards to SpaceX for commercial crew prior to this was $3.145B.

Edited by RCgothic

Can SpaceX transport starship and booster prototypes to KSC like how NASA has done with previous rockets? I would have no issues with them launching form the cape then. I would actually want to see this launch test IRL this year.

Edited by Cloakedwand72

They could probably bring those in the same piers the F9 boosters are brought back by the landing barges so no big issues with sea transport. Road transports, possibly doable but that would be very special load. So would require a lot of dismantling road signs, light posts etc. and putting them back in after the transport has passed. SpaceX also had plans and even started building some prototypes at the Cape as well, but I haven't followed up on those developments so don't know what's happening with them.

It's not possible to transport Starship or Superheavy to the cape from Boca by road. F9 is basically the biggest road-transportable rocket in the US.

It's also not clear SS/SH can be horizontally transported. Transporting SS/SH by barge would also likely be prohibitive in this case.

The remaining options are fly there, with overflight of Florida (not happening any time soon), or build locally, which it looks like they're planning.

Just now, RCgothic said:

It's not possible to transport Starship or Superheavy to the cape from Boca by road. F9 is basically the biggest road-transportable rocket in the US.

It's also not clear SS/SH can be horizontally transported. Transporting SS/SH by barge would also likely be prohibitive in this case.

The remaining options are fly there, with overflight of Florida (not happening any time soon), or build locally, which it looks like they're planning.

Yeah, they are building a new factory for those at Roberts Road very close to pad 39A and the planned LC49