SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

3 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

Will the Polaris Dawn EVA suit be like Gemini and Voskhod, or will it have a maneuvering unit?

Word on the street seems to be that SpaceX is using these flights to expand (no pun intended) on their existing IVA suits in order to make them more versatile and suitable for EVA. We are still a far cry from surface sortie suits or independent maneuvering suits, but these suits will probably have some significant differences as compared to the prior IVA suits.

20 minutes ago, darthgently said:

It appears the AX-1 crew launch will be on a flight-proven booster.  Is this a first?  I know SpaceX was not sending crew on used boosters at first.

They've used flight proven boosters for crew most of the time.

Crew-2 was a flown booster.

Inspiration-4 was a flown booster.

Crew-3 was flight proven.

Only Demo-1 and Crew-1 were new.

19 minutes ago, tater said:

They've used flight proven boosters for crew most of the time.

Crew-2 was a flown booster.

Inspiration-4 was a flown booster.

Crew-3 was flight proven.

Only Demo-1 and Crew-1 were new.

Ok, I must have had it backwards then.  It makes sense to trust one that has worked than one that hasn't

It will be amazing when Starship and SLS are side by side. Two crew launch vehicles actually intended to fly missions (as opposed to one of two Shuttles being for emergencies only) being side by side is pretty cool, even if the current Orion on the pad isn’t even crew capable IIRC.

This might be the first instance in history of this happening, because I think the early dual Soyuz missions were rolled out one at a time.

1 minute ago, SunlitZelkova said:
It will be amazing when Starship and SLS are side by side. Two crew launch vehicles actually intended to fly missions (as opposed to one of two Shuttles being for emergencies only) being side by side is pretty cool, even if the current Orion on the pad isn’t even crew capable II

This might be the first instance in history of this happening, because I think the early dual Soyuz missions were rolled out one at a time.

Add to that Dream Chaser on top of a Falcon 9 or FH.  That could be a thing apparently