SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

8 hours ago, Beccab said:

You still need to certify the whole system, even a crew rated capsule on a crew rated stage using crew rated boosters won't make a crew rated rocket. Which means you only save a few millions and in exchange lose years, in which you could have had a crewed spacecraft to sell to anyone who doesn't trust spacex

In the bottom video of Beccab's post, there is a brief flash shortly after the rocket lights up.  Any idea what that was? 

Also - it seems like the rocket throttled down around midway (flame length seems to change and the tone changed) - am I interpreting that correctly? 

12 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

In the bottom video of Beccab's post, there is a brief flash shortly after the rocket lights up.  Any idea what that was? 

Also - it seems like the rocket throttled down around midway (flame length seems to change and the tone changed) - am I interpreting that correctly? 

I must have missed a step; what is this? A Raptor 2? An RVac?

10 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

I must have missed a step; what is this? A Raptor 2? An RVac?

This video from @Beccab's post is what I was talking about.  Second attempt 

Shortly after the camera picks up the sound there is a green flash.  Wondering what that might be... as well as whether it looks to anyone else if they throttled down at some point later 

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

8 minutes ago, Flying dutchman said:

Does anyone know why there are no tiles at certain heights of the ship?

Those are where the ring sections were attached to each other. Perhaps those areas experience the most distortion during cryoproof, etc? Then they apply the tiles later.

4 hours ago, tater said:

CRS-25 looks to be moving to Elon's birthday (funny since the interview above says they don't like launching that day (June 28) after the CRS-7 failure).

If they want to eventually be launching multiple starships every day, they are going to have to get over that limitation at some point. Might as well do it now.

4 minutes ago, tater said:

Edome = new tank dome design, stretch formed and placed higher in the barrel thus allowing for more fuel in the same cylindrical barrel
nyo8lsgmysn81.png

Given the likelyhood it's going to the launch side to do some cryos, it's possible we'll see a test to failure at some point considering that it's a large enough change in the tank structure