SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

2 hours ago, Beccab said:

Another theory I've seen on the anomaly: independently from the cause of the main detonation, the second fire with black smoke that started a bit later came from a generator on the ground - LOX reached its intake, increasing the speed of the combustion and overheating to the point of burning down. How does it sound?

If the turbopump was running you should not get LOX out. You get hot oxygen gas. 
Raptor_Engine_Unofficial_Combustion_Sche

However it the burner was not burning LOX would just run trough the  pump and out the engine. 
Now as I understand they spin up both pumps with pressurized nitrogen then open for LOX and CH4. its an tricky engine to start since the CH4 pump need high pressure LOX to fire and the other way around. if one of the pumps don't start the other will stop fast 

Just now, magnemoe said:

If the turbopump was running you should not get LOX out. You get hot oxygen gas. 
Raptor_Engine_Unofficial_Combustion_Sche

However it the burner was not burning LOX would just run trough the  pump and out the engine. 
Now as I understand they spin up both pumps with pressurized nitrogen then open for LOX and CH4. its an tricky engine to start since the CH4 pump need high pressure LOX to fire and the other way around. if one of the pumps don't start the other will stop fast 

It's extremely likely all the pressures have also increased compared to that diagram (Raptor pre-1.0 of 3 years ago), so that makes if even trickier

My understanding was that it was a spin-prime test (OX preburner/turbopump) so there shouldn't have been any CH4 in the exhaust from that so I've not sure where the CH4 came from for the detonation.

I'm not really clear on how they get the CH4 inlet pressure up for a spin-prime without running the CH4 side though.

I've also heard 800bar for pressure in the turbopumps.

Edited by RCgothic

Some content has been redacted.  Folks, a gentle reminder that profanity's not allowed in the forum... and that means no linking or embedding to content (such as tweets) that contain profanity.

Thank you for your understanding.

Just now, Beccab said:

First look at the engine section since yesterday's anomaly

There's a lot of scorching (which I suppose should be expected), and I see a few broken/bent pipes, but the engines themselves look fine from this viewpoint.

Still waiting for more info from Elon, but this is encouraging. Hopefully either this wasn't as violent of an event as it looked, or the booster and GSE are well-hardened to this sort of thing.

13 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

There's a lot of scorching (which I suppose should be expected), and I see a few broken/bent pipes, but the engines themselves look fine from this viewpoint.

Still waiting for more info from Elon, but this is encouraging. Hopefully either this wasn't as violent of an event as it looked, or the booster and GSE are well-hardened to this sort of thing.

You got all that from a single picture that only showed the engine bells?

Just now, mikegarrison said:

You got all that from a single picture that only showed the engine bells?

I mean, the engines are all there and seem to be in the same positions they were pre-testing. Worst case in this scenario would have been an engine literally exploded, and I would have expected to see more collateral damage in that case.

Of course, the engines may have suffered internal damage, but if they're lucky, the flexible boots around the engines prevented that from seriously damaging other engines. I'm not saying this is good, only that it looks like it could have been a lot worse.

23 hours ago, Codraroll said:

That, plus buses are heavy. In a collision between two cars, there might easily be multiple fatalities because they bring each other to a standstill or roll-over. While a bus colliding with a car will slow down quite bumpily, but its passengers are not likely to die in the collision. Buses colliding with other heavy vehicles is rare too. Overall, it's just very uncommon for a bus accident to have multiple fatalities.

back when i was in high school my bus hit a pickup truck. truck was totaled, but we barely felt anything. we didn't even have to switch busses because the damage was minimal.