Jump to content

SpaceX Discussion Thread


Skylon
 Share

Recommended Posts

34 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I wonder why they are doing so many of those. Also, page 1500!

Better have a lot of those, and them being successful, then to go do a first launch, hype it all up only for vehicle to even start it's engines. NASA, Boeing and co. are already doing that, let's have SpaceX at least do it properly. If it blows mid flight then there is some work to do, but at least get to "take off" part without having to abort because of some hardware issue that wasn't checked before.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/18/2022 at 6:24 PM, tater said:

NSF is reporting new Raptors with blast shields are there, though the only picture is of one on the horizontal stand.

Fc7fjKyWAAAxFSn?format=jpg&name=large

 

This is surprising, I would expect the blast shield to be part of the bottom dome, this way it could do double duty as structure supporting the weight. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Cuky said:

Better have a lot of those, and them being successful, then to go do a first launch, hype it all up only for vehicle to even start it's engines. NASA, Boeing and co. are already doing that, let's have SpaceX at least do it properly. If it blows mid flight then there is some work to do, but at least get to "take off" part without having to abort because of some hardware issue that wasn't checked before.

I am well aware of that, I'm just curious as to what gremlins are in the engines that they have needed to do so many spin primes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I am well aware of that, I'm just curious as to what gremlins are in the engines that they have needed to do so many spin primes.

I am not sure, but seems to me that they do spin primes before every static fire, at least with Booster 7 since they started testing. Maybe that is part of getting raptors ready to fire properly. Or maybe just a test they do before they test so that they don't blow up the whole thing when they go to fire it up for static test because of faulty fuel line or something.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, RCgothic said:

And another thread on some nose cone weirdness:

 

 

Ahh, the ultimate conclusion to the "the best part is no part" philosophy.

One must admit, it does make rocketry a fair bit easier if one doesn't have to bother with the fragile payload and all the moving parts required to release it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Codraroll said:

Ahh, the ultimate conclusion to the "the best part is no part" philosophy.

One must admit, it does make rocketry a fair bit easier if one doesn't have to bother with the fragile payload and all the moving parts required to release it.

Still, it might be fun to put a BO capsule in  as a test payload and beat BO at getting one into orbit, or at least a longer suborbital flight.  Jeff would be steamed 

Unrelated, but automerged:

MVAC on recent F9 launch blowing a lot of green for an extended period during first burn and still has more upcoming burns on its punch list to do.  Is that common? I hadn't noticed before if so

 

Edited by darthgently
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Codraroll said:

Ahh, the ultimate conclusion to the "the best part is no part" philosophy.

One must admit, it does make rocketry a fair bit easier if one doesn't have to bother with the fragile payload and all the moving parts required to release it.

Now this is very weird, if its not 26 who is the first they try to launch? 
Its the most dangerous launch after all so don't bother trying with payload or reentry. 
On the next mission perhaps they add some starlink 2 satellites and ship 24 is the 3rd to launch. 

Yes they talk about disposable Starships but I assume that is because its time consuming to make the heat shield and they will not reuse them anyway as they cant land Starship back at Boka Chica.  Its still very useful to test reentry and landing but if they want to launch more than that to get some starlink 2 up for testing

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...