SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

Just a quick 2022 Falcon 9 recap; I had to tabulate it myself since I didn't quickly find the info I was looking for. So I condensed a list from the wiki page, and this is what I came up with (boosters and flight numbers). For a wonder it added up to 60 missions, so it should be right.

Spoiler

1062 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

1058 10 11 12 13 14 15

1060 10 11 12 13 14

1052 3 4 5 6 7

1071 1 2 3 4 5 6

1061 6 7 8 9 10 11

1063 4 5 6 7 8

1051 12 13 14*

1067 4 5 6 7 8

1073 1 2 3 4 5

1069 2 3 4

1077 1

1049 11*

1076 1

*Expended

In 2022, the sixty F9 flights were made by 14 boosters. 4 boosters made their maiden flights; two of those only flew once (the other two combined for 11 flights). B1049 also only made one flight, its 11th and final flight. 

So that makes it 3 boosters that only flew once.

2 boosters were intentionally expended (B1049 and B1051 on its third flight of the year) after 25 career flights between them (Rest in Pieces, they served well). All others were successfully recovered

1 booster, 1062,  made 8 flights (the first and second-last flights of the year), 3 boosters made 6 flights each, and 5 boosters made 5 flights each. 2 boosters made 3 flights each.

That saved a metric crapton of manufacturing capacity!

270px-CRS-8_(26239020092).jpg

Edited by StrandedonEarth

1 hour ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Have we ever seen a "cost per unit" on engines?  If so that could give a guesstimate of how much they're saving over say something like ULA which flies expendable. 

Probably very hard to calculate, you need an decent launch numbers for reuse to even make sense.  You also has production limits who help reuse, but just looking at an cost breakdown, cost of reuse is cost of recovery and cost of refurbish who is obviously much cheaper than building everything each time. The launch is the same cost anyway but you save plenty on weekly launches as lots of the cost is fixed. 
SpaceX has the benefit of being their own customer because of starlink. 

Just now, totalitor said:

One landing leg deploy was slow.

There's always one lagging behind the others usually, they're only brought down by gravity so it depends from the angle the rocket has when the legs are released. 

First successful launch/landing of 2022, second stage ignition number 2 is in 45 minutes followed by rideshare sats deployment

1 hour ago, Beccab said:

There's always one lagging behind the others usually, they're only brought down by gravity so it depends from the angle the rocket has when the legs are released. 

First successful launch/landing of 2022, second stage ignition number 2 is in 45 minutes followed by rideshare sats deployment

Pretty sure its hydraulic to get them started but could easy see the last part is gravity only but its also plenty of air resistance. 

1 hour ago, magnemoe said:

Pretty sure its hydraulic to get them started but could easy see the last part is gravity only but its also plenty of air resistance. 

Correct - these tiny arms next to the main folding mechanism are what pushes it, then gravity does the rest
main-qimg-811385b88cd98c6654b68979a86eab98-pjlq

38 minutes ago, Beccab said:

Correct - these tiny arms next to the main folding mechanism are what pushes it, then gravity does the rest

Perhaps more accurately called “acceleration” here (even though it’s decelerating), as the engine is firing and the force is quite a bit more than 1 G. :D

How important is a 33 engine static fire test?

Presuming there is a risk of damage to the table... would it be better to just go for a launch and capture data from that (or is it pretty much necessary to static-fire test the whole shebang before attempting a launch)?

2 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Presuming there is a risk of damage to the table... would it be better to just go for a launch and capture data from that (or is it pretty much necessary to static-fire test the whole shebang before attempting a launch)?

If I understand the video below this is effectively well in hand

https://youtu.be/NHpJuYNbu6g

3 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

That’s what they did with N-1, and we all know how that went…