SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

Note that the 250t vs 150t difference is pretty much identical to F9 relative performance (per SpaceX) for RTLS vs expended booster operations.

~20% payload capability loss with ASDS vs expended.

~40% loss with RTLS.

4 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

For what, exactly? 

Apparently being the first crew of a new manned spaceflight vehicle?  Were the other (non 17 accident related) awards for similar reasons? 

Perhaps audience engagement? I found this:

https://press.discovery.com/us/dsc/programs/space-launch-live-america-returns-space-hits-ratin/

To be awarded the Congressional Space Medal of Honor, an astronaut must perform feats of extraordinary accomplishment while participating in space flight under the authority of NASA. Typically, the Congressional Space Medal of Honor is awarded for scientific discoveries or actions of tremendous benefit to mankind. The decoration may also be awarded for extreme bravery during a space emergency or in preventing a major space disaster, or posthumously to those astronauts who die while performing a US space mission. As of 2004, all 17 astronauts killed on US missions had been awarded the medal

Still the question remains. 

Now I'm wondering what precident it would have, given that while a civilian medal it is allowed to be worn on a military uniform. 

Ok wiki says it can be worn as a ribbon senior to the POW ribbon - and is given for meritorious achievement - so it does not trip the prohibition against non military heroism medals. 

From the military standpoint, a meritorious medal is basically a permanent atta-boy.  Not like they had to do a space walk while wounded to drag other astronauts out of a burning spacecraft. During an asteroid strike 

1 hour ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

For what, exactly? 

Apparently being the first crew of a new manned spaceflight vehicle?  Were the other (non 17 accident related) awards for similar reasons? 

Right.

Are they going to give the first Starliner crew the same award?

Now showing the Feb 5 launch at 5:32 PM Sunday... guess I don't go to the everglades. Cape Canaveral it is. Port Canaveral for SLC-40 launch?

I'd turo a tesla to try one for more than a short drive, but I sorta lack the will to deal with charging, though maybe just 1 would be required (Ft Lauderdale to the Cape and back, same day).

5 hours ago, tater said:

Now showing the Feb 5 launch at 5:32 PM Sunday... guess I don't go to the everglades. Cape Canaveral it is. Port Canaveral for SLC-40 launch?

I'd turo a tesla to try one for more than a short drive, but I sorta lack the will to deal with charging, though maybe just 1 would be required (Ft Lauderdale to the Cape and back, same day).

Really a non-issue. One 11-min stop charge. Plug in, go take a leak, unplug & go. 

ddksb3r.png

23 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

A few factoids about todays launch, courtesy of teslarati:

200th Falcon 9 launch, of which 199 were successful.
177 consecutive successful launches.
138th launch of flight-proven boosters.
93rd consecutive successful landing of booster.

"Launches" instead of "missions" is doing a lot of lifting there huh? I suppose I shouldn't expect much from a source called Teslarati, but man, 199 out of 200 is not I feel an honest description of a rocket that has twice exploded losing customer payloads. I'm not trying to claim that F9's record is not impressive, of course, only that this source misrepresents the data.

I wonder where 177 consecutive successful launches comes from? CRS-7 was the 19th launch, meaning there have been 181 launches since then, so they don't mean that, but AMOS-6 happened before the 29th flight, meaning there have been 172 successful launches since then. Maybe they're using the AMOS-6 as a failure there, but including the 5 Falcon Heavy flights as well as Falcon 9? Sneaky. 

53 minutes ago, RyanRising said:

"Launches" instead of "missions" is doing a lot of lifting there huh? I suppose I shouldn't expect much from a source called Teslarati, but man, 199 out of 200 is not I feel an honest description of a rocket that has twice exploded losing customer payloads. I'm not trying to claim that F9's record is not impressive, of course, only that this source misrepresents the data.

I wonder where 177 consecutive successful launches comes from? CRS-7 was the 19th launch, meaning there have been 181 launches since then, so they don't mean that, but AMOS-6 happened before the 29th flight, meaning there have been 172 successful launches since then. Maybe they're using the AMOS-6 as a failure there, but including the 5 Falcon Heavy flights as well as Falcon 9? Sneaky. 

So 172, with 138 booster reflights. In a few weeks, SpaceX will have more consecutive booster landings than Atlas V has flights (F9 passed Atlas V in flights partway through last year).

Who cares, nothing else flying in the west is even close?

65% go for Sunday... recovery weather risk OTOH is high.

90% go for a 24 hour delay, with low risk for recovery.

I can't bail on my wife 2 days of a 3 day trip, will wait until last minute to pull the trigger on driving N I think.