Jump to content

SpaceX Discussion Thread


Skylon
 Share

Recommended Posts

They should not forget about:

  • a golden disc with the Earth music (say, Voyagers flied away too early and have no J.Bieber record, it's a shame; no need to send again those Bachs-Schmachs and moar Zarts);
  • a picture with two naked humans (maybe even a whole journal or DVD);
  • an updated map of the Solar System (with Mars marked as "inhabited", "private property - no trespassing", etc)

Another set of questions stays unclear:
What about driver's license for this car driver? Are they going to provoke an incident with road police?
This car will probably exceed the legal speed limit of the state. Who will pay the penalty? And how much?
Is parking allowed there? Its price?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

They should not forget about:

  • a golden disc with the Earth music (say, Voyagers flied away too early and have no J.Bieber record, it's a shame; no need to send again those Bachs-Schmachs and moar Zarts);
  • a picture with two naked humans (maybe even a whole journal or DVD);
  • an updated map of the Solar System (with Mars marked as "inhabited", "private property - no trespassing", etc)

Another set of questions stays unclear:
What about driver's license for this car driver? Are they going to provoke an incident with road police?
This car will probably exceed the legal speed limit of the state. Who will pay the penalty? And how much?
Is parking allowed there? Its price?

What!? We want voyagers to learn about earth, not develop our bad habits.

It will be in a earth mars-eccentric orbit, some day it may come crashing back to earth, then you can ticket if for speeding . . . . .in Australia.

Edited by PB666
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/8/2017 at 11:34 PM, kerbiloid said:

This car will probably exceed the legal speed limit of the state. Who will pay the penalty? And how much?

So long as it does not trespass and does not exceed the posted speed limits on any roads it happens to be on, it can go as fast as they want.

You hardly have police officers waiting at the end of a race track after all...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Terwin said:

You hardly have police officers waiting at the end of a race track after all...

So that’s the reason why F1 prize money has dropped so drastically this season... :P 

 

On a thread-related note, weather for the launch is looking good for now. 

http://www.floridatoday.com/story/tech/science/space/2017/12/09/air-force-weather-good-spacex-launch-cape-canaveral-and-landing-nasa-iss/937725001/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, no kidding. Even these first few dozen relights they will do have to cost less than building a new stage 1. When they sort the block 5 modifications for reuse, it can only improve.

"Sooty" I think is designed to highlight this. The pinstripes in the soot are where they cleaned her to check the tank welds. Remove and replace landing legs (retractable after landing on block 5), replace grid fins (until the Ti versions)... presumably some sort of cleaning of engine plumbing. What else?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Skylon said:

How about this instead?

Speaking of things that need to go to Mars... :rolleyes:

 

1 hour ago, tater said:

The pinstripes in the soot are where they cleaned her to check the tank welds.

Well, so much for the theory that the dirt was holding it together. :P

 

So seriously, is there an actual reason why they haven’t cleaned it? All that soot must weigh something...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

So seriously, is there an actual reason why they haven’t cleaned it? All that soot must weigh something...

I'm guessing that it's because, that way, cleaning the soot off is one less thing they have to do. Remember, this is a booster the size of a small building we're talking about here. Cleaning the soot off is a non-trivial task.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...