SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

8 minutes ago, tater said:

I was really responding to the (unread past the bit about Russian interstages) wall of text unrelated to SpaceX :wink: as far as I could tell.

Thanks, I think. I did mention Falcon heavy, once :o

They also don't have to have 'sepratrons' to push the stages apart. Those are two advantages. The most advantageous in my mind, particularly now with carbon fiber nozzels and the like, engine fitting.

1 minute ago, PB666 said:

Thanks, I think. I did mention Falcon heavy, once :o

They also don't have to have 'sepratrons' to push the stages apart. Those are two advantages. The most advantageous in my mind, particularly now with carbon fiber nozzels and the like, engine fitting.

Yeah, but this isn't a KSP thread :wink:

SpaceX is using pusher bars (both for nominal Stage 2 sep, and for the side boosters).

Just now, tater said:

Yeah, but this isn't a KSP thread :wink:

SpaceX is using pusher bars (both for nominal Stage 2 sep, and for the side boosters).

That was mentioned in the post, hydraulic thrusters tuned to the force required. If I have problems I set up the side tanks to simply drop, not split away at all. You can drop tanks with almost no force being applied to the core. In my 2kT to LEO builds side-tanks have a hydraulic a spacer, another hydraulic. The first drops the tank and the second blows off into space after the tank is out of the way. Because there is no tank attached to the second the momentum is almost entirely delivered to the aerodynamic spacer that spacer could have a shock absorber in it. Really the only limit to size is the strength and length of the struts.  (which a user could mod).

As for space X, why don't they release the payload fairings with the Stage 1 separation and with wires real them to the top of stage 1, I know this is not in KSP yet so someone would need to mod it so they could see how it was done.:cool::wink: If they used three wires per each  they could basically attach real them to the top and use electromagnitism to hold them until landed. If the payload fairings are the biggest cost waste outside of stage 1 and biggest time lag element . . . . . .simple solutions often work.

15 minutes ago, PB666 said:

As for space X, why don't they release the payload fairings with the Stage 1 separation and with wires real them to the top of stage 1, I know this is not in KSP yet so someone would need to mod it so they could see how it was done.:cool::wink: If they used three wires per each  they could basically attach real them to the top and use electromagnitism to hold them until landed. If the payload fairings are the biggest cost waste outside of stage 1 and biggest time lag element . . . . . .simple solutions often work.

You know, that just might work if you keep some maneuvering fuel and thrusters on the fairings so that they separate far enough, get reeled back, and clamp on carefully. 

However, S1 has to turn around and reignite pretty fast in most cases, so I don't think it would work as well as just gliding the fairings down and...doing whatever they do to get them on the boat.

2 hours ago, tater said:

That's an interesting idea (reeling them to S1).

I wonder if it is possible.  What alt to they dump the fairings?

Its just past S1-S2 sep in the last Vandenberg launch, I would imagine with FH that there is more than enough altitude to dump the fairings and high enough that they don't need to back burn.

Sorry . . .I mean back burn quickly, I don't see what the rush would be to back burn since the rocket travel further through the atmosphere and experience more high level deceleration.

Edited by PB666

Just now, DAL59 said:

Why did they retract the Heavy?!  Did they find a problem?! Was Musk just showing off?

It was a test to make sure everything worked. Literally the first time a FH had been together, and the first time it was moved anywhere, then the first time erected to vertical. 

14 hours ago, cubinator said:

You know, that just might work if you keep some maneuvering fuel and thrusters on the fairings so that they separate far enough, get reeled back, and clamp on carefully. 

However, S1 has to turn around and reignite pretty fast in most cases, so I don't think it would work as well as just gliding the fairings down and...doing whatever they do to get them on the boat.

It sounds far to complex, better to have fairings fall free and recover them. they are lightweight huge so they will slow down fast. They are also so sturdy and simple they can handle an splashdown even if it looks like they use an ship with a net.

1 minute ago, DAL59 said:

Will there be a parachute on the fairings or will the terminal velocity just be low?  Do they really need a boat(would it survive splashdown?)?

Well, they're going to need a boat at some point to pick the fairings up. May as well go the whole nine yards and set the boat up to catch the fairings-it's certainly safer than dumping them in the corrosive, battering sea.

11 minutes ago, DAL59 said:

How exactly are they going to get the boat in the right spot with wind and all?  Does the faring have any thrusters?

The fairing does have cold-gas thrusters. The plan is to use it as a lifting body and fly the fairing to the boat. As such, the problem of positioning the boat is much like the problem of positioning the barge for ASDS booster landings.

20 minutes ago, DAL59 said:

How exactly are they going to get the boat in the right spot with wind and all?  Does the faring have any thrusters?

What @IncongruousGoat said, also the fairings are supposed to have steerable parawings, so hitting a great-huge-net-sized net in the middle of the ocean shouldn’t be that insurmountable. 

46 minutes ago, WildLynx said:

You have to walk your rockets from time to time. They let it sit over the hole for a while, then took it back home. You don't want your rockets to do things right in the middle of hangar, you know.

I hope the took a plastic baggy with them .