SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

3 minutes ago, tater said:

Yes, but the 24 hours is not about actually reusing the same booster for a new launch within 24 hours. While I would not put it past them to do that at some point just to say they did, there is no operational reality where that is required. Next year they might have 3 launches. That's a little more than one every 2 weeks.

You mean 30.

But there is nothing really fantastic about that, they launch from 2 Florida sites and 1 California site. Im not trying to put them down. Lets say they launch 60 rockets in 2018, where's the market.

Aside from that block V will be 2018 and since they don't have used V cores they need to build more of them, so we are not talking about most of 2018 being a recycle thing because they have new capital equipment being built. Who knows they could land in the grab length of a fixed crane from the recycling facility.

Edited by PB666

2 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Which brings us back to...

Single-seater spacecraft, huh? Sounds like a Colonial Viper to me

Well at least the concept is pretty close, if you forget the flying in from space a 9000 m/s part and the ring of fire and then the almost nose down descent. And also the fact that one has jet air intakes and a skid on the front and wheels on the back. Other than all those exception its pretty close.

16 minutes ago, StupidAndy said:
why does the center core have the old gridfins while the outer cores have the titanium gridfins?

The titanium fins have a long life ahead of them, so may as well go easy on them. There is also a theory earlier in the thread that the side boosters need the extra control authority on the way down due to the nose cones making them more aerodynamic/streamlined than usual. Besides which, the aluminum grids are discontinued old stock: Fry'em. See just how bad we can burn them.

Edited by StrandedonEarth

3 hours ago, PB666 said:

You mean 30.

But there is nothing really fantastic about that, they launch from 2 Florida sites and 1 California site. Im not trying to put them down. Lets say they launch 60 rockets in 2018, where's the market.

Aside from that block V will be 2018 and since they don't have used V cores they need to build more of them, so we are not talking about most of 2018 being a recycle thing because they have new capital equipment being built. Who knows they could land in the grab length of a fixed crane from the recycling facility.

Yeah, typo, sorry.

The point is that even with 60 launches they don't need an operational 24 hour turn around, it's a labor efficiency (read: money) issue. Less labor means lower cost, which means more money in the bank.

12 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

The titanium fins have a long life ahead of them, so may as well go easy on them. There is also a theory earlier in the thread that the side boosters need the extra control authority on the way down due to the nose cones making them more aerodynamic/streamlined than usual. Besides which, the aluminum grids are discontinued old stock: Fry'em. See just how bad we can burn them.

Less of a theory and more of confirmed fact. The side core cones are less draggy than the big open-ended interstage, so they need to move the center of pressure higher, so they need the larger grid fins. Larger grid fins also provide a better glide ratio for the stage, meaning less fuel is required for the boostback.

Also, the center core has a lower chance of recovery, and adding titanium grid fins would not appreciably increase recovery odds, so why risk reusable titanium grid fins on a core that won't need them and might lose them?

1 hour ago, sevenperforce said:

Less of a theory and more of confirmed fact. The side core cones are less draggy than the big open-ended interstage, so they need to move the center of pressure higher, so they need the larger grid fins. Larger grid fins also provide a better glide ratio for the stage, meaning less fuel is required for the boostback.

Also, the center core has a lower chance of recovery, and adding titanium grid fins would not appreciably increase recovery odds, so why risk reusable titanium grid fins on a core that won't need them and might lose them?

Besides, the aluminum ones look that much cooler when they get all melty.

17 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Ok, SpaceX. Now we’ve been through this before, with this exact same rocket, even. One more day delay, ok. (I can watch now!) Two more day delay, ok. Three more day delay, not ok! Very not ok, ok?

Ok.

:huh:

Didn't Carly Simon have a song about that.

56 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Ok, SpaceX. Now we’ve been through this before, with this exact same rocket, even. One more day delay, ok. (I can watch now!) Two more day delay, ok. Three more day delay, not ok! Very not ok, ok?

Regardless, we'll get to see something soon

* excited squealing *

Something that's been on my mind today... What if, in the not so unlikely scenario, the Tesla tipped FH goes kablooey? What are the plans for the second attempt?

What if everything goes splendid? What are the next steps in getting the FH ready for customers?

Also, kind of excited about the possible double rocket landing. Funny how we've (me, at least) became so accustomed to powered landings that we need the double dose.

32 minutes ago, Shpaget said:

Something that's been on my mind today... What if, in the not so unlikely scenario, the Tesla tipped FH goes kablooey? What are the plans for the second attempt?

What if everything goes splendid? What are the next steps in getting the FH ready for customers?

Also, kind of excited about the possible double rocket landing. Funny how we've (me, at least) became so accustomed to powered landings that we need the double dose.

kSCTuQX.png

30 minutes ago, Shpaget said:

My guess is that it depends on what they learn from the kablooey. If the data they get back from it shows that solving the kablooey will be easy and that there was only that one problem then they may well make a second attempt. If, however, all sorts of things went wrong and it doesn't look like they can solve it, then there will be no second attempt.

30 minutes ago, Shpaget said:

They will look at all the data that gets back. They will very carefully dissect and examine the boosters. They will look at the data again. Then, if and when the engineers think they can make the Falcon Heavy a practical proposition, they will start to seriously advertise its availability. Assuming a customer bites and is prepared to wait for availability then they will reassemble the Heavy; cross their fingers; put on the payload ... and launch.

53 minutes ago, Shpaget said:

What @softweir said, plus they’ve had their first customers lined up for a while (tho its a fairly old schedule and may have changed): ArabSat 6a is slated to be the first real payload Maybe this spring, then there’s at least one and I think two certification flights for the USAF that will also have actual payloads. 

And maybe, just maybe, they’ll shoot a couple of wonderful, crazy people around the moon later this year with the FH.