SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

I love a good booster landing. And this flight will have three! I also love the driver in the car, and the cameras to show him. My only fear is that my screen isn't big enough for Space-X to show me all of this awesomeness going on simultaneously.

23 minutes ago, Brotoro said:

I love a good booster landing. And this flight will have three! I also love the driver in the car, and the cameras to show him. My only fear is that my screen isn't big enough for Space-X to show me all of this awesomeness going on simultaneously.

Better get a bigger screen shipped by drone from Amazon in 12 hours just to be sure...:sticktongue:

10 minutes ago, RedKraken said:

I hope they poll Starman during the checklist.

I don't; it'd be awfully hard to explain to my boss.

Anyways, I wonder how many Falcon Heavy cores SpaceX will try to stock up on. I'm under the impression they're so heavily modified from the original F9 design that they're effectively non-interchangeable, so they'd need custom cores, for a rocket whose mission (reusable GTO launches) has been partially usurped by the improved Falcon 9, and which they're trying to make obsolete with the BFR.

I'm still heavily skeptical about the BFR: even if it technically works, there's still a gulf between "gets to space" and "gets to space so frequently, with so little post-flight turnaround costs, with such high reliability that it obsoletes rockets with 1/10 its payload".

5 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

Plane Change (90deg):   476.00m/s + 1% = 480.76m/s

Dat plane change doe. :o

4 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

So...hard...not...to...like...everything

If you think today is bad... :rolleyes:

Tomorrow the whole thread might run out of likes before launch time. :D

So, since I’m saving all my likes, to everyone with an amusing/informational/thought provoking post today, here’s another rocketman in a slick suit with a sweet ride:

eltj-01.jpg

I’m off work for the next two days for this. Fingers, toes, and joints I didn’t even know I had crossed that next time I clock in there’ll be a car en-route to “Mars-ish.” :D

48 minutes ago, insert_name said:

Am i the only one who has class during the launch and is hoping it gets delayed like govsat 1 was?

I'm in a meeting from 10-11:30.

1 hour ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

So, since I’m saving all my likes, to everyone with an amusing/informational/thought provoking post today, here’s another rocketman in a slick suit with a sweet ride:

eltj-01.jpg

E-type is the most beautiful car ever made.

11 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Another random thought on a night of random thoughts...

That looks like their space suit in the drivers seat... I wonder if it’s just a “dummy” or a functioning test model? Great way to test if it can survive a ruptured cabin all the way to space, after all...

More than that... because they are testing the 6 hour delay for restart by launching TMI from eliptical orbit, the suit will be spending hours in the van allen belts. it's going to face radiation worse than interplanetary space, while still in easy comunication with the ground.

I normally get home at 18:00, and have dinner around 19:00. The launch window opens at 19:30 my time. This is literally the best launch window they could have chosen. Even if they don't go right away, I can watch all evening long! :)

Here's to "reaching the Karman line in the preplanned number of pieces", as @KSK so eloquently put it!

4 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

I normally get home at 18:00, and have dinner around 19:00. The launch window opens at 19:30 my time. This is literally the best launch window they could have chosen. Even if they don't go right away, I can watch all evening long! :)

Me too. SpaceX launches are almost always during the perfect time.