SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

That projectile was flying away  from the rocket, it was nowhere near the engines

Getting to the engine would require traveling trough the rocket fire, no you should not have stuff lying on launchpad, not so much as it is an danger to rocket but it might damage other stuff on pad. 
Fun fact ejected sand and dust on landing or takeoff is an serious issue for an moon base because no air resistance. 
Yes something like an sand bag fence will solve it. 

12 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

That projectile was flying away  from the rocket, it was nowhere near the engines

One might argue that if a thing is close enough to be acted upon by the engines, it may also be considered near the engines. :sticktongue:

Edited by CatastrophicFailure

57 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

They’re... they’re really going for it? Naw, something's gotta slip... right? :o

Every year we are getting closer to the 'frequent launch spaceport' everybody was dreaming about earlier.

7 minutes ago, Scotius said:

Just... Just imagine - rocket after rocket, roaring into the sky every few hours. Carrying humanity another couple of steps closer to the stars. Like Clarke and Henlein intended decades ago :)

And let's not forget rocket after rocket, echoing triple sonic booms as they plummet from the heavens to touch down on tongues of fire.

I know it's unlikely, but I'm very much hoping we'll one day hear Elon say, "We're gonna need another landing pad."

3 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

And let's not forget rocket after rocket, echoing triple sonic booms as they plummet from the heavens to touch down on tongues of fire.

I know it's unlikely, but I'm very much hoping we'll one day hear Elon say, "We're gonna need another landing pad."

At that point they'd have to make sure not to build spaceports next to populated areas (even relatively close) because of the noise.

7 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

IIRC, they have plans for like five...

Ok, three... Screen-Shot-2017-01-11-at-11.42.20-768x4

Article here.

Edited by CatastrophicFailure

31 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Yup, see the revised post above. :)

That article you linked is over a year old. SpaceX has abandoned propulsive landing for Dragon 2 and they have already built a second landing pad (Falcon Heavy, remember?), and possibly a third.

15 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

That article you linked is over a year old. SpaceX has abandoned propulsive landing for Dragon 2 and they have already built a second landing pad (Falcon Heavy, remember?), and possibly a third.

Right, which is why I revised it to say three. Presumably they still have plans for a third, in case they ever plan to bring a FH core RTLS, etc. 

17 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Right, which is why I revised it to say three. Presumably they still have plans for a third, in case they ever plan to bring a FH core RTLS, etc. 

Per Wikipedia, they only have two landing zones at present but they have plans for two more. Originally they planned for a total of six landing pads but this has scaled back to four.

I want to see Dragon 2 launched on a Falcon 9 RTLS and an auxiliary service module launched a few hours later on a Falcon Heavy, docked in LEO, and sent into lunar orbit.

Just now, Jaff said:

Why are they not recovering iridium boosters? Thought there wasn’t much too them and they were able to recover 

Because they're sooooooo last year. :rolleyes:

Like, literally. SpaceX has an excess of old boosters sitting around at the moment (what a time to be alive, eh?), they need to get rid of them to make room for the Block 5's that will be the Falcon 9's FINAL FORM. Might as well dump 'em in the ocean which would otherwise be illegal... <_<

Presumably, they're also using them for high-risk landing tests.