SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

On 15.3.2018 at 1:20 AM, sh1pman said:

Of course, old pals are getting the meatier cut. For less work. Who would've guessed?..

The two contracts are not really comparable at all.

SpaceX needs to launch three identical satellites to medium Earth orbit. ULA needs to launch two different pairs of spacecraft to two different GEO-ish orbits.

12 hours ago, tater said:

Block 5 test fire happened in TX tonight, apparently.

I would think they finished test firings by now. Is this a test bed or is it going to be launched with a PL?

1 minute ago, insert_name said:

bangabadu 1

This one.

The vid was at night, so I am unsure if they are certain that that was the burn. It was previously viewed at the test stand there, and needs to head for FL soon.

27 minutes ago, tater said:

This one.

The vid was at night, so I am unsure if they are certain that that was the burn. It was previously viewed at the test stand there, and needs to head for FL soon.

How do they exactly get the cores from McGregor of Canaveral?

10 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

That would be an interesting one to try to explain to your insurance, “Yes, I may have been going too fast, I rear-ended a rocket...” :D

dat repair bill doe...:o

I wonder what kind of fine someone would have to pay if they damaged a rocket... are there any past examples?

Edited by Spaceception

2 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

I wonder what kind of fine someone would have to pay if they damaged a rocket... are there any past examples?

Its very standard rules for this, you are basically damaging cargo, same as rear ending an boat on trailer. 
And yes its an story you tell your grandchildren, I once rear ended an orbital rocket. 

Fun how they use the fuselage for structural support, pretty standard for windmill towers. 

27 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

That would be an interesting one to try to explain to your insurance, “Yes, I may have been going too fast, I rear-ended a rocket...” :D

dat repair bill doe...:o

Picture yourself in the VAB with a long sponge mop and a bucket of soapy cleaning the soot off of recycled cores for the next 30 years.

1 hour ago, tater said:

On trailers. The 3.7m diameter is to fit under interstate highway overpasses.

WkGqHru.jpg

I thought the max payload widht for trucks was 2.4mete..., oh its says OVERSIZE LOAD with full caps on the back, didn't see that.

1 hour ago, magnemoe said:

Fun how they use the fuselage for structural support, pretty standard for windmill towers. 

That tells you just how strong they are. Imagine being the guy shrinkwrapping that thing (yeah, probably a machine for that)

30 minutes ago, Starman4308 said:

Though really, there's probably a whole convoy to prevent collisions. 

SOP for loads like that is supposed to be pilot vehicles front and rear, although I have seen a vehicle get squished trying to pass an oversize load on a curved onramp.

While looking for more images of F9s on the road, I ran across this...

falcon-heavy-memes-20.jpg?quality=85&str

On 3/14/2018 at 8:18 AM, KSK said:

That bad day might be caused (for example) by inadequate regard for a manufacturer's recommendations, placing a little too much faith in your Russian sourced engines, messing up a 64 bit to 16 bit data conversion, installing sensors upside down, not fully appreciating the fire hazards involved with 100% oxygen atmospheres or mixing up imperial and metric units.

You know you play too much KSP when you can "read between the lines" and recognize the failures that each of these examples obliquely references :D

Best,
-Slashy

1 hour ago, StrandedonEarth said:

That tells you just how strong they are. Imagine being the guy shrinkwrapping that thing (yeah, probably a machine for that)

I think the core only weighs 22.5 tons, as for a  tractor trailer this is not particularly heavy. A tractor trailer's legal weight is 40 tons. (before needing an oversized tag)

So with trailer, tractor, rear wheels probably close. Maximum weight on trailer is 34,000 lbs (15,454 kg) for normal sized load.

Edited by PB666