SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

First they will use balloons to deorbit the 2nd stage,
Then they will realize that they can lift it with balloons, too. No more 1st stage.

At last they will build Dragon v3 orbital airship with balloons, without rockets.
It will get to Lagrange point, puncture several balloons to make some thrust and stay there 
To deorbit, or to lower the orbit, or even to go to the Moon, it will puncture several balloons more.

Several balloons below the capsule will soften the landing.

Edited by kerbiloid

8 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

First they will use balloons to deorbit the 2nd stage,
Then they will realize that they can lift it with balloons, too. No more 1st stage.

At last they will build Dragon v3 orbital airship with balloons, without rockets.
It will get to Lagrange point, puncture several balloons to make some thrust and stay there 
To deorbit, or to lower the orbit, or even to go to the Moon, it will puncture several balloons more.

Several balloons below the capsule will soften the landing.

Well if they're gonna go thru all that, they might as well just shoot a Dragon out of a ginormous cannon...

...right into the Moon's eye. -_-

4 hours ago, kerbinorbiter said:

It makes sense, the Falcon 9 uses helium in second stage why bot use the rest of the leftover helium in stage 2 to blow up balloons 

fv00263.gif

fv00262.gif

Tried a Ballute in KSP... works great except I get flip city if I don't eject it. As it's KSP, I can just use a rocket landed option (either secondary engines, or the normal ones providing they perform). But mainly as no nozzle damage from pressure in KSP.

Soft landings on engines is nice and elegant. But bouncy castles is probably cheaper.

46 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

It's happening!! Any idea on how soon we could hear about TESS candidates? What will their numbering be like? TESS-1, TESS-234, similarly to like Kepler-556 or whatever?

TESS cannidates probably wont be available until at least the first, and probably the second, eliptical orbit periapse after the initial lunar slingshot. it's a 13.7 day orbit, so call it 27 days, an even Lunar Month from launch.

24 minutes ago, Canopus said:

Any one got an idea on the orbital period of the upper stage? How long will it be in Space before returning to earth?

I thought I heard the phrase "Hyperbolic graveyard orbit."

56 minutes ago, Kr0noZ said:

Scott Manley just made a Video explaining some of the peculiarities of the orbit this baby is going into:

Looking at the timeline at 3:00... looks like 62 days until science begins, with transmissions every half-lunar month after.

4 hours ago, Nibb31 said:

It doesn't have wings. It's a lifting body with stabilizers.

Well, the side protrusions of the "flying brick" Space Shuttle was called wings.

Unless this one is going to be even more brick-ish in flying.