SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

1 minute ago, Elthy said:

Im sure someone allready measured this, but have no idea where to look. Are we sure the new Raptor engines on the BFS are sealevel engines? They seem a bit to big to fit 31 of them in the same diameter...

Maybe the BFR ones are true sea level engines, while the BFS engines which got shown are 'intermediate' engines to allow more to fit on compared to if they were vacuum versions?

Canards ! Cool. Like in a movie. Will they burn off during entry ? This is so kerbal, will it flip on the first try ? Will they paint a red/white checker board on it ?

Every picture has new props and widgets. Will they forget the ladders ? Or a solar panel ?

Seriously, looks extremely cool.

Edited by Green Baron

Actually, if you watch the EDL animation they provided, the landing makes much more sense now.

Literally sort of stall the spacecraft at some decent altitude above the ground (ie: killing almost all the horizontal velocity), and since the attitude is already nose WAY up, it's effectively already vertical.

25 minutes ago, Elthy said:

Im sure someone allready measured this, but have no idea where to look. Are we sure the new Raptor engines on the BFS are sealevel engines? They seem a bit to big to fit 31 of them in the same diameter...

This is also why:

26 minutes ago, tater said:

The new booster has a skirt around the engine bells in the illustration, and is slightly larger than 9m in dia (10m?),

26 minutes ago, Elthy said:

Yes, they are. Thankfully someone asked during the presentation. They could be replaced with vacuum engines to increase payload to mars, at the cost of the easily accessible aft cargo. It just about matched up about with our predictions.

1 minute ago, tater said:

I'm still sort of astounded that they are sticking with landing on the launch clamps.

They are?

Well, considering they can land the Falcon 9 pretty much bullseye on target, its not that crazy anymore, but still crazy.

1 hour ago, tater said:

Actually, if you watch the EDL animation they provided, the landing makes much more sense now.

What amazes me, the guy could tell us something about the aerodramatics of that thing and so on. But he talks about an orbit being horizontal speed and not up. I mean, i am not silly and i knew that before KSP and i guess most here did so as well. He is not a gifted lecturer ...

1 minute ago, Green Baron said:

What amazes me, the guy could tell us something about the aerodramatics of that thing and so on. But he talks about an orbit being horizontal speed and not up. I mean, i am not silly and i knew that before KSP and i guess most here did so as well. He is not a gifted lecturer ...

You'd be surprised how much of the general public doesn't know how orbits work.

35 minutes ago, NSEP said:

They are?

Well, considering they can land the Falcon 9 pretty much bullseye on target, its not that crazy anymore, but still crazy.

I wonder if that'll be part of the grasshopper tests with the BFS and BFB, go really high, drop, and land on a very narrow target. Later tests could make it approach at an angle.

2 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

I wonder if that'll be part of the grasshopper tests with the BFS and BFB, go really high, drop, and land on a very narrow target. Later tests could make it approach at an angle.

I could definitely see that happend on a BFB grasshopper test. I also think that they should do suborbital tests for BFS. BFS can without a doubt reach near-orbital speeds like 6000m/s to test re-entry and land back safely.

10 minutes ago, NSEP said:

I could definitely see that happend on a BFB grasshopper test. I also think that they should do suborbital tests for BFS. BFS can without a doubt reach near-orbital speeds like 6000m/s to test re-entry and land back safely.

...Then refuel on the spot and jump back.

46 minutes ago, NSEP said:

I recall Musk saying they plan to do exactly that, tho I’m guessing the very first BFG is going to be a pretty stripped down affair: no heatshield, fewer engines, etc. Like the original Grashopper (OG?).

1 hour ago, Ultimate Steve said:

You'd be surprised how much of the general public doesn't know how orbits work.

Almost no one in the population at large knows this, including literally every reporter there who is not a space reporter, I'd wager.

I meant he could have explained some features of the ship but it turns out he only has blabla. Which makes me ask myself, how much is real about the bfr at this time.

Just my impression ....

How about the engines for example ?

Heretic's question, eh ?

Edited by Green Baron