SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

1 hour ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I don't think we've gotten numbers on Block 5 yet, but at least with Block 4 it was so slim that the amount you could SSTO was greatly affected by how light you could make the nose cone.

Just send it up under a tarp, like a convertible. ;) 

28 minutes ago, cubinator said:

Just send it up under a tarp, like a convertible. ;) 

[09:09] MAV: You're sending me to space in a convertible.

[09:24] Houston: There will be Hab canvas covering the holes. It will provide enough aerodynamics in Mars's atmosphere.

[09:38] MAV: So it's a ragtop. Much better.

On another note, I am of the firm opinion that the SpaceX crew suit should have an attachable cape:

Spoiler

EM4auJw.png

Obviously it would get in the way during some activities, but if you're not scaling a cliff or dealing with machinery it could catch on then only good things can come from wearing a cape on Mars.

1 hour ago, cubinator said:

On another note, I am of the firm opinion that the SpaceX crew suit should have an attachable cape:

Hide contents

EM4auJw.png

Obviously it would get in the way during some activities, but if you're not scaling a cliff or dealing with machinery it could catch on then only good things can come from wearing a cape on Mars.

...You mean a deployale solar collecter, right?

3 minutes ago, _Augustus_ said:

If they could actually do it exactly 2 months from today, that'd be the best Christmas present ever.

They have said the delay to January was "paperwork," so I'm gonna assume it's still in January. He also said 5 more launches this year, and there are 5 (not crew Dragon demo) on the schedule.

1 hour ago, NSEP said:

This was a reply to this meme by the way:

Gotta love Elon.

I say its an pretty safe bet. 
That is unless you are an computer, robot or undead. 
Or an undead robot. 
FuY9PmNl.jpg
An bug in elder scroll online who caused these robot dinosaurs and many other adds to world bosses to stay around as "undead" no they can not damage you but they can absorb hits aimed for the boss. 

3 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Hmm... That means that possibly the only thing that the superdracos will ever be used for in flight will be the abort test.

Possibly, but at least they won’t be thrown away during each flight. I suppose they could also be used to soften the splashdown or landing. Oh wait, probably not, with  that toxic MMH/NTO exhaust residue 

8 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Hmm... That means that possibly the only thing that the superdracos will ever be used for in flight will be the abort test.

AFIAIK, this is correct, now. Remember, they were originally going to be used for landing on land, but that’s off the table now, at least for the foreseeable future. The Dragon is essentially a dead end, now.

One does wonder, however, how much delta-V could be extracted from them...

12 hours ago, tater said:

http://www.krgv.com/story/39360667/spacex-project-making-progress-at-boca-chica-beach-site

Construction at Boca Chica. Some locals interviewed which is pretty funny.

"Why would we interview someone from SpaceX, when Bob here seems so engaged on the topic!" 

*Bob is yelling at random vehicles as they move past, telling them to hurry up. *